Likes Likes:  122
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  13
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Car Free Chronicles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    When I went car-free, I had to adjust my shopping schedule, as one person described it, to a more European version. Two or three days a week, I'll stop at the Giant across the street from where I work as I head home, filling up my two panniers. One reason I use Giant is they have the handheld UPC scanners, so I can scan items and fit them into my panniers as I shop. I don't have to worry about getting to the checkout and finding that I can't quite fit everything I bought into my bags.
    One neato torpedo thing I discovered last week is that the Ortlieb pannier hooks clip easily onto the top of the sides of the shopping cart. I was filling them up while shopping and knew exactly when it was full. However, I didn't have the hand scanner, so I had to pull everything back out, scan, then repack. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    When I went car-free, I had to adjust my shopping schedule, as one person described it, to a more European version. Two or three days a week, I'll stop at the Giant across the street from where I work as I head home, filling up my two panniers. One reason I use Giant is they have the handheld UPC scanners, so I can scan items and fit them into my panniers as I shop. I don't have to worry about getting to the checkout and finding that I can't quite fit everything I bought into my bags.
    YES! I use the UPC and bring my bike into the store filling my panniers and rolling back out! Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    My rule is to never use a cart in the store – only a basket – so I don’t buy more than I can carry.
    Over time I like to believe I can eyeball my cart and tell exactly how much I can fit. But once in a while.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pineapple.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	17736
    Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    A recent photo on Strava shows the petite W&W towering over the other members of the family - so yeah, I'm guessing they're not going through a ton of food.
    Cause or effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I’m curious, however, how it is to be car-free as a man in American society. It seems like there are still stereotypes and expectations that make it harder for men to be car-free. But maybe that is not-so-much the case in the DC area…
    I am sure that there is a geographic component to this. However, I also believe there is a pretty big generational one, too. We old people are often surprised to learn that more than half of American 17-year-olds do not have their driver's license. That is correct: if you are 17 and do not have your license, you are in the majority, you are normal. That includes the entire country: urban, suburban, rural. Both of my kids got theirs after they were 18 and did not seem much bothered along the way.
    Those of us who grew up with the 16th-birthday-rite-of-passage have an out of date understanding. So I would not be surprised by young people having a different attitude.

If you read DateLab in the Washington Post, it seems almost all the dates end with the guinea pigs either catching an Uber or getting on the Metro.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the path I use to get to Giant, mostly through Seminary RD, which is the flattest option I could find to Giant. I use the sidewalk sometimes, and sometimes the road, which is lightly trafficked at that segment. There is a Safeway in the area too, which has a wave rack to the south(StreetView link).
    Last edited by n18; 04-02-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like my best plan for groceries is to hire Wheels&Wings to do all of my shopping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    It sounds like my best plan for groceries is to hire Wheels&Wings to do all of my shopping.
    Get ready to live on cauliflower puffs and pea milk.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the second flattest path to Giant that I know, but it involves using a sidewalk that is somewhat unnoticeable, and negotiating a bad corner at RT7/Carlin Springs RD intersection(The gas station corner). That's why sometimes I prefer the first option. Here is a StreetView of that sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    One neato torpedo thing I discovered last week is that the Ortlieb pannier hooks clip easily onto the top of the sides of the shopping cart. I was filling them up while shopping and knew exactly when it was full. However, I didn't have the hand scanner, so I had to pull everything back out, scan, then repack. Thanks for the tip!
    I had discovered this a few years ago. Then recently, my local Giant replaced the carts with more rugged plastic sides. My Ortlieb hooks don't fit as easily on them, but I can wedge them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. I couldn't swing it largely because of whitewater, camping, and ski trips (plus the dog), but I have gone from 35,000 miles a year to less than 10,000 a year for the last three years. I think I'm still a bit car addicted too from growing up in a place where it would be insane not to have one. Anyway, good luck. Eventually you'll end up like me, riding home with a bag of chips in one hand and a block of cheese in the other, wondering how you're going to brake because you misjudged the size of your bag. And I never seem to be able to carry enough beer--always need to get more for some reason.