Likes Likes:  122
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  13
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Free Chronicles

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Can I bum a ride?

My new place puts me a couple of miles closer to biking out to Wakefield.
    Riding to Wakefield is, luckily, quite easy. As is Lake Fairfax. And riding to Schaeffer is very pleasant -- if a little long. I'd love to learn a good bike route to Fountainhead, though I have not spent a lot of time analyzing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Mountain biking? Or anything else, for that matter:
    - Hertz
    - Zipcar
    - Metro
    - Car2Go
    - Friends
    - Uber
    - Taxi
    - Amtrak
    - MARC
    - Etc.

It's not hard.
    It doesn't sound *hard*, but ... if I have 2 hours to go mountain biking and be home in time to get the kids to cub scouts - or whatever - it's also not happening. Of course, driving to mountain bike isn't exactly the most eco-friendly thing in the world. But this is a cycling forum, so it's a valid counter-argument to restricting transportation options. :-)

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I've considered getting rid of my car, as for most errands and outings the bike and main family car are sufficient. But I do use my car at least once a month for an all-day, a-few-hours-away race or ride. And as the kids get older I want to more mountain biking with them. So for those reasons I think the second car is worth it (it doesn't cost much to insure, since it isn't driven much).

If I was single lving in the city, though, I would probably get rid of the car and use Zipcar for the races/rides. OTOH, if I were single I'd be doing a lot more MTB and travel for races ...
    About 95% of my car use last year involved driving to biking events. Last year that was less than 2,000 miles, although the previous year I traveled much more for biking things. It was costing me about $700 a year for liability insurance, registration, inspection and tax so I figured that renting a car for the times I can't trick Josephine into driving me will probably come out a bit cheaper.

The one other thing that I used my car for regularly was grocery shopping since I buy a lot of canned food. I'm probably gonna have to get all Bobco and get a trailer. The grocery store situation at the new place is a bit less convenient for walking and biking since it's further away, involves crossing the Pike and has a lot more traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    And thus, the countdown timer to Judd getting either a cargo bike or a bicycle trailer begins...

...also, congratulations on becoming car-free! Zipcar and bicycle trailers work well as a replacement. I look forward to hearing about you riding with a trailer/cargo bike to get furniture from IKEA*. Trust me, it's fun

*FYI the IKEA in College Park is easier/safer to bike to from Arlington than the one in Woodbridge because of all the trails you can use (MVT, MBT, NW Branch, NE Branch, Paint Branch).

I'll probably go trailer, but I did read a great article about subsidies for cargo bikes in Europe last night that piqued my interest. Any bike trailer recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

About 95% of my car use last year involved driving to biking events. Last year that was less than 2,000 miles, although the previous year I traveled much more for biking things. It was costing me about $700 a year for liability insurance, registration, inspection and tax so I figured that renting a car for the times I can't trick Josephine into driving me will probably come out a bit cheaper.

The one other thing that I used my car for regularly was grocery shopping since I buy a lot of canned food. I'm probably gonna have to get all Bobco and get a trailer. The grocery store situation at the new place is a bit less convenient for walking and biking since it's further away, involves crossing the Pike and has a lot more traffic.
    It sounds like a fun adventure and kudos to you for doing it!

I should run the numbers more carefully as it might end up being worth it to drop the second car, even with occasional renting. Likely, the cost effective thing to do will be just not to buy another car when this 10-year-old car finally dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Left the car behind in August 2015. For two years my daughter lived with me 1/2 time. Now she's away at college
    Goal is to never buy one again

Mountain biking? Or anything else, for that matter:
    - Hertz
    - Zipcar
    - Metro
    - Car2Go
    - Friends
    - Uber
    - Taxi
    - Amtrak
    - MARC
    - Etc.

It's not hard.
    I had a Twitter friend hook me up with a Car2Go discount which I'll be signing up for tonight. I am opposed to the use of Uber and Lyft on moral grounds.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Twitter friend hook me up with a Car2Go discount which I'll be signing up for tonight. I am opposed to the use of Uber and Lyft on moral grounds.
    I assume labor issues, not bike lane issues. Cause if its the latter, the opportunity to say "I am a cyclist, please don't pull into a bike lane to drop me off" would be golden, I think.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang w Team Bikenetic. They have a bus. It goes places!

That or become very good friends with Tania!

We have one car - and its usually doing dog rescue work. Between living in Arlington, the team bus, and mooching rides..... just dont need the second. Sometimes it limits my choices of saturday rides - but this place has so many incredible trails I mean really.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 03-30-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    It doesn't sound *hard*, but ... if I have 2 hours to go mountain biking and be home in time to get the kids to cub scouts - or whatever - it's also not happening. Of course, driving to mountain bike isn't exactly the most eco-friendly thing in the world. But this is a cycling forum, so it's a valid counter-argument to restricting transportation options. :-)
    It unquestionably requires a bit more planning. And the occasional weekend Enterprise rental special.
    My point was aimed more at Judd, though, who does not have additional peeps in his household.

In your case, though...

I sold my car when I went to biz school and then inherited my girlfriend's/wife's when I got married in 1991. We raised two children to adulthood and never owned a second car (except for a 1-week overlap when we bought a new one before selling the old one). So, from personal experience, I can attest that it is entirely possible to have a 1-car family.

I also can plausibly contend that all the vacations our family took over 20+ years were paid for with the savings from not owning a second car.

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my shopping by bike with panniers/backpack and, on the toodler bike, front basket. This has been the case for many years, even when I had a family of four to shop for. It's surprising how much you can fit in two touring panniers and a backpack. I've looked at trailers, and I think there are some cool ones, but I've never pulled the trigger. There were definitely times when I maxed out the carrying capacity, though.
    I'm pretty certain Cynthia shops for herself and her two kids almost 100% by bike, strapping who knows what onto her pack.

I have probably used a car to go grocery shopping, even when I had access to the family car, a total of 20 times in the last 12 years. With a trailer that likely would have dropped even lower.