Likes Likes:  133
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Fun Club: Bike Packing on the C&O June 2-3

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club: Bike Packing on the C&O June 2-3

Adventure Cycling's Bike Travel Weekend is June 1-3 this year. I'm hosting a Bicycle Fun Club overnight bikepacking ride to celebrate this year. We'll leave from Georgetown Waterfront Park on Saturday and ride the C&O Canal for about 40-50 miles, camp on the canal and enjoy the outdoors and each other's company. We'll return to DC the next day. I'm planning on tent camping, however if there is enough interest, I'll look into renting one of the lockhouses which have beds and are indoors. Ride pace will likely be a leisurely 12-13 because the canal is really pretty and I'll probably want to stop and take lots of nature pictures. We're likely to see geese, deer, ducks, fish, and heron.

If you're wondering how the heck to carry camping gear on a bike, ask for help here. There's several folks that have bike camped before that can help.

If you're planning on coming or thinking about it, please let me know on this thread. If you're totally in for sure, then you should consider signing up for the event on the link below. If you do, you'll receive a Bike Travel Weekend sticker and also be entered in the drawing for a Co-Motion Bicycle.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...Overnight=2205
    Last edited by Judd; 04-28-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome- Iím very interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Iím interested. Need to check my schedule.

On Lockhouses, they are very cool. I stayed in two when I did GAP/C&O a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yay. I'm very interested. I can tent camp but also interested in lock house stay. I'm going to one next weekend for a night with friends!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the appropriate lockhouse for the ride distance is already reserved for June 2nd. Pity. So, the plan is most likely outdoor camping.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm bummed we're out of town that weekend. I might not have done the whole 50 miles with you, but I would have driven part way, biked the rest and camped with you all. I hope it's so successful that everyone wants to do it again on a weekend I'm not working.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be on my way down from Pittsburgh that weekend, maybe if I go really really really fast I can meet you all at the campsite. I'd be down for another time though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Adventure Cycling's Bike Travel Weekend is June 1-3 this year. I'm hosting a Bicycle Fun Club overnight bikepacking ride to celebrate this year. We'll leave from Georgetown Waterfront Park on Saturday and ride the C&O Canal for about 40-50 miles, camp on the canal and enjoy the outdoors and each other's company. We'll return to DC the next day. I'm planning on tent camping, however if there is enough interest, I'll look into renting one of the lockhouses which have beds and are indoors. Ride pace will likely be a leisurely 12-13 because the canal is really pretty and I'll probably want to stop and take lots of nature pictures. We're likely to see geese, deer, ducks, fish, and heron.

If you're wondering how the heck to carry camping gear on a bike, ask for help here. There's several folks that have bike camped before that can help.

If you're planning on coming or thinking about it, please let me know on this thread. If you're totally in for sure, then you should consider signing up for the even on the link below. If you do, you'll receive a Bike Travel Weekend sticker and also be entered in the drawing for a Co-Motion Bicycle.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...Overnight=2205
    93.725913% chance that Jo and I will join you. I have to justify all this expensive bikepacking gear I bought

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    93.725913% chance that Jo and I will join you. I have to justify all this expensive bikepacking gear I bought
    It's been a while since The Enabler has posted...

Post Thanks / Like

MAN! Super sad face. You should do this again on a different weekend. One where I will not be suffering for 200+ miles in the Flint Hills of Kansas.