Likes Likes:  136
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Fun Club: Bike Packing on the C&O June 2-3

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This trip sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome! The only advice I can give is to not camp at the Bald Eagle Island campsite (Mile 50.3). It is very close to the active train tracks, and IIRC there were about 13-14 trains that passed through the night I stayed there. They were so loud it was like the trains were passing right through my tent! Also, I did not bring ear plugs on my trip (I really wish I had).

Given the proximity of some of the campsites to the train tracks in your planned 40-50 mile range, I'd recommend looking at the Indian Flats (Mile 42.5) campsite as opposed to Calico Rocks (Mile 47.6). The Indian Flats campsite is 2,024 feet from the train tracks versus only 160 feet for Calico Rocks (Bald Eagle Island campsite is only 95 feet).

(Automated message: $0.02 has been successfully deducted from your account and added to this thread)
    This is super helpful. I think it was Rimas that brought up train noise yesterday but was unsure of what sites it was bad at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    This is super helpful. I think it was Rimas that brought up train noise yesterday but was unsure of what sites it was bad at.
    When we talked a couple of days ago, the site I was talking about was Calico Rocks. Even with ear plugs, you'll still feel the rumbling of the trains and the hear the horns. Don't bother spending the night there unless you don't like sleeping.

Have you already seen this page of where to camp?
    http://bikewashington.org/canal/plan-camping.php

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.bikecando.com/huckleberry-hill-camp.aspx
    This site is supposed to be one of the better ones. Nice bonus is the relaxing sound of the water rushing by.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rimas View Post
    http://www.bikecando.com/huckleberry-hill-camp.aspx
    This site is supposed to be one of the better ones. Nice bonus is the relaxing sound of the water rushing by.
    On my bike trip along the C&O Towpath, I stayed at the Huckleberry Hill campsite on my 2nd night (3-day trip to the halfway mark and back). It was nice and quiet (no train noises, I slept like a log) save for some expected other sounds that were heard early in the night (it was Independence Day, after all ).

Huckleberry Hill (62.9 miles) is farther than the expected distance for this trip, but as an FYI for folks doing other longer trips along the C&O, it is a great campsite, and I highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news everyone! Adventure Cycling contacted me today to say that they are sending our group a free Bike Travel Weekend banner to hang in our campsite. They asked that in exchange we get a picture of the group with the banner and throw them a hashtag or two on social media.

Post Thanks / Like

that train noise is not joke I just stayed at Calico camp site and it was LOUD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejwillis62 View Post
    that train noise is not joke I just stayed at Calico camp site and it was LOUD.
    Haha, I told you!

It's such a nice big camp spot too, but really, it's pointless staying there because the trains passing by there in the middle of the night are ridiculously loud.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested! When do you need to a definite by?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smb9600 View Post
    I'm interested! When do you need to a definite by?
    Just give a heads up the day before the trip so we know if we need to wait for you. Hope you can make it.

10. 04-28-2018, 08:33 AM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

11. 04-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Reason
    Should be new thread

Post Thanks / Like

where are you camping and how many nights?

liz