Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take Back the Bike Lanes with Bike Lane Uprising

Post Thanks / Like

Submitted my first two bike lane obstructions to Bike Lane Uprising today. Ironically both were along the route of WABA-sponsored Vasa ride.

M Street at 21st. Taxi completely obstructing the bike lane, while a large box truck passing in the travel lane prevented us from going around. I was following a dad and his kid on a tandem, and we were forced to stop and walk around to the taxi's right. Tried to tell the driver to move, he got belligerent and wouldn't budge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	17762

And again one block later at M Street at New Hampshire. Two delivery trucks, one partially blocking the crosswalk and one half obstructing the bike lane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	17763

If people are going to behave this dangerously in the infrastructure specifically built to separate vehicles from bikes, I'm happy to be part of the uprising.

Note: I had submitted the first once twice, by accident. Wasn't sure it had gone through the first time, did it again (and now I know what to look for). Within minutes I got an email from the awesome people at BLU asking if they should remove one of the dupes. So cool that they're watching out for us.
    Last edited by ginacico; 04-07-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Further awesomeness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Made my first two reports on Bike Lane Uprising today. Fairly easy to submit reports.

https://twitter.com/LumberjackCycle/...06085965074433
    maybe it's just me, then--i find it actually kind of obnoxious...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    Agreed - especially for the repetitive nature of the reports I have to submit...

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    I had a really nice 2 hour conversation with the founder and got to see the next iteration of the site. It's going to be streamlined and also grab location information from the picture. It's still going to be web based but it will auto size to be compatible if you're using it on a phone.

It could be that ease of submitting is a bit relative for me. I take my images off of a Fly12 camera so I actually have to export the video, find the right spot and then get a screen grab.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really nice 2 hour conversation with the founder and got to see the next iteration of the site. It's going to be streamlined and also grab location information from the picture.
    I exchanged emails with her recently, in which she mentioned upcoming improvements for easier uploads. I figured they'll pull geolocation and date/time stamps from the EXIF metadata on the pictures, which would save a lot of time clicking around.

My other complaint was that after you submit a violation, you're supposed to get a popup window saying "Thank you...would you like to submit another?". It's wonky now -- on my phone it never appeared, on my laptop I had to scroll to see it. They'll fix that too, so it's more obvious that your submission was successful.

It's nice that they're watching out for data integrity. My duplicate entry was noticed immediately and deleted. They're also noticing trends in the data they receive. Yesterday they Tweeted a bunch of repeat offenders, vehicles who've been caught multiple times. Don't underestimate public shaming via social media.

Chatting with a WABA staffer last weekend, they're curious how BLU will work for advocacy. Enforcement is the missing link -- it's up to you to report the violations as soon as you see them, so the local jurisdiction can respond (or not, as is too often the case). But more data is always better.
    Last edited by ginacico; 04-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really nice 2 hour conversation with the founder and got to see the next iteration of the site. It's going to be streamlined and also grab location information from the picture. It's still going to be web based but it will auto size to be compatible if you're using it on a phone.

It could be that ease of submitting is a bit relative for me. I take my images off of a Fly12 camera so I actually have to export the video, find the right spot and then get a screen grab.
    Right...I'm already doing that (between trying to actually safely drop M off and not openly encouraging the parents to hate me, the Cycliq cameras are an easier way to go) - so then to have to fill out the form with location info./plates/etc. for the 3 or 4 photos per day at the same location is just too much. And since they're screen grabs from the video, trying to pull info. out the metadata will not help.

But I fully admit that my scenario is probably not the normal use case they envisioned in setting up the collection instrument.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Right...I'm already doing that (between trying to actually safely drop M off and not openly encouraging the parents to hate me, the Cycliq cameras are an easier way to go) - so then to have to fill out the form with location info./plates/etc. for the 3 or 4 photos per day at the same location is just too much. And since they're screen grabs from the video, trying to pull info. out the metadata will not help.

But I fully admit that my scenario is probably not the normal use case they envisioned in setting up the collection instrument.
    Just need to get the kiddo a cell phone and make her responsible for the bike lane uprising tasks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just need to get the kiddo a cell phone and make her responsible for the bike lane uprising tasks.
    That's a good fallback plan, though she'd probably just watch videos the whole time like she did on Hains Point the last night of Freezing Saddles. First, though - I went ahead and e-mailed them with a few thoughts for them to consider that could help more than just me (allow a user to save frequently reported locations so I could pick from a drop-down of favorites instead of re-entering each time; let us provide the link to a tweet rather than uploading images separately; work with someone who noted he is developing a tool that would read the plate info. from a picture to avoid that bit of data entry).

Post Thanks / Like

Bike Lane Uprising has given us our own little subsite with a DC specific heat map: https://www.bikelaneuprising.com/washington-dc