Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain a Tandem With Metropolitan Washington Association of Blind Athletes

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Captain a Tandem With Metropolitan Washington Association of Blind Athletes

The Metropolitan Washington Association of Blind Athletes is starting up their 2018 riding season and is looking for tandem captains for weekly Thursday group rides. You don't need a tandem and MWABA has an orientation on April 5th to help new captains get started.

Shira rode with MWABA last year and I hope she'll pop in and share her experience.

More details from MWABA's flyer:

TANDEM CAPTAINS NEEDED

FOR VISUALLY IMPAIRED CYCLING GROUP

Join the Metropolitan Washington Association of Blind Athletes (MWABA) for tandem
    bicycle rides at 5:45PM every Thursday in daylight savings (April to October) and
    occasional weekends from Eastern Market Metro in DC and near the Bethesda Metro. We
    are blind/visually impaired stokers (back seat) and are looking for captains (front seat)
    to ride with us.

Do I Need a Bike?
    Most captains do not own a tandem and do not have tandem
    experience. Rather, they are cycling or fitness enthusiasts who want a new challenge.
    How does it work? We provide the bikes and training for the new riders (both captains
    and stokers). Once you join our mailing list, you will receive an e-mail on Sunday asking
    who is interested in riding the following Thursday. If you respond that you’re interested,
    we will match you with a stoker and send you further details about the ride. You can ride
    as often or as infrequently as your schedule allows.

But I’ve Never Done This Before!
    In partnership with the Washington Area Bicyclist
    Association (WABA), we’ll hold a training for new captains on Thursday, April 5. The
    group will meet at 5:15 PM at the Eastern Market metro stop for a brief orientation
    before getting on the tandems. If you’d like to attend the training, please call or text Karla
    at 202-631- 2426 or email her at karla.gilbride@gmail.com so we make sure we have
    enough bikes for everyone.

April 5, 2018 5:15PM
    Eastern Market Metro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Judd! I had a great time last year and I'd be happy to answer any questions if you post or pm me. I hadn't ridden a tandem until last spring but I really liked the group and the rides, and I did a lot of the weekday and weekend rides and the Pumpkin Ride and Cider Ride with the group. Last year the Eastern Market rides usually did a loop on the Anacostia Riverwalk trail from 11th Street to Benning Road or Bladensburg and the Bethesda rides went on the Capital Crescent to Georgetown, and we usually got food afterward. There's also the Tuesday Night Tandem Alexandria group, their rides are posted on Potomac Pedalers, and they have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tandm.bike/

-Shira

Post Thanks / Like

I’d love to do this but Thursday evenings are no bueno for me schlepping back from Columbia every evening. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I did this ride last year -- it was awesome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6092.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	17703

Post Thanks / Like

I captained my tandem with this group for a while and all are a class act. Good people, good well planned rides and well though out overall setup. Even is you have little or no exp with this they will guide you into it. Would still be riding but the week day start time and my work end time ended up conflicting.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-29-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: accruacy matterz

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Back when it was running out of a house in Alexandria I captained my tandem with this group for a while and all are a class act. Good people, good well planned rides and well though out overall setup. Even is you have little or no exp with this they will guide you into it. Would still be riding but the week day start time and my work end time ended up conflicting.
    I believe there’s two groups, one that meets in Alexandria still and one that meets in DC at Eastern Market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Some of the same people in picture different group.

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice article in the Washington Post about our rides.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...es-also-blind/

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic taken at Lake Artemesia from yesterday's ride. We had 11 riders total on four tandems and one triple. Much fun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWABA tandems.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	18453

10. Likes KWL, huskerdont, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MWABA is seeking additional captains for this Sunday's Tales and Trails ride hosted by WABA. There are more stokers interested than sighted captains at this point.

10:00 am – 1:00 pm
    Join the WABA Trail Ranger team and National Park Service for a dynamic guided history tour of Anacostia River Trail in Anacostia Park. In 1932, over 30,000 World War I veterans camped at Anacostia Park in peaceful protest for a wartime bonus that ultimately resulted in the G.I. Bill. This bike tour leads visitors through the former encampment and details their struggle as they lobbied Congress during the Great Depression.

If you have captained a tandem before, I can highly recommend joining along on this ride, and we would gladly welcome you. For more information, contact Karla Gilbride at Karla.herlastname at gmail.