Thread: DC Accessibility Laws/Rules

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DC Accessibility Laws/Rules

Does anyone know off hand what the laws or rules for road and sidewalk accessibility are in the District?

Long story short: my federal agency has gotten a temporary permit to close the road that runs between our main buildings (a bad idea generally). In doing so, they promised, at least to staff, to maintain accessibility for cyclists. However, because of the way the curbs are cut and the way security has been parking their SUVs, they've blocked access to the sidewalk at one intersection. I imagine this violates some DC laws or rules -- it's annoying as a cyclist to dismount and pull my bike up on the sidewalk, but it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair. I was hoping someone in the forum could point me in the right direction to find the right cite.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well here is the area you cannot ride on the sidewalk.

http://ddot.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/About+DDO...walks+Downtown

Outside that I guess you can.

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not but I hope it's a good start.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul - that's a good start.

Really, I work for one of the agencies, and hope to be able point out to our security people that they're violating a DC law or reg by blocking the curb cut. It's a good point that if they take away the street, they are banning bikes, since bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalk. (Though I think I've seen another map that says bikes are allowed on sidewalks West of the White House and South of Penn Ave - was that an old rule or just a mistaken map?)

Thanks!
    G

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

what blocks are closed?

The Downtown Business District Area above is correct. Full DDOT Bicycle map link:
    http://ddot.dc.gov/DC/DDOT/On+Your+S...2+pg,+8.33+MB)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    what blocks are closed?
    C Street NW between 23rd and 20th (though 21st goes through)

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you might have grounds to advocate for wheelchair users under ADA, but bicycles wouldn't be included in that argument.