Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: 40 mile days

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40 mile days

I recently moved to Beacon Hill, and had my first opportunity to ride to work this morning.

My previous commute started in Del Ray, and averaged 14 miles up to Takoma Park depending on which turns I took.

My new commute touches 20 miles each way. I know there are others who log these kinds of long miles regularly for your commutes. I'm not new to riding, but I know there will be some adjusting to this longer commute. What kind of strategies to other long distance commuters use to stay on top of your game?

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the tips on this throwback thread might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

that thread is all good info.

I'll throw in my unpopular opinion here though since my commute is 20 miles each way as well. As my screen name implies, I ride an ebike. I started for fitness. I had gotten fat and out of shape (300 lbs, 6', scary BMI). When I was younger, I had biked a lot including some commuting, so it was trying to get back into shape. When I started, I had to use every bit of assistance the bike would give me. Over the past 9 months, I've been dialing it back and will continue to do so until I can do my commute on a regular bike. That said, I've ridden regular bike some days and yeah, it's tough. Mostly because I'm still about 50 lbs overweight. Even when I get to the point where I can commute regularly on an unassisted bike, I might still find myself taking the ebike a couple days a week. The ability to turn up the assistance level if I'm sore or mentally fatigued or even if my knees are bothering me is a great thing. (or when there's a 22 mph headwind like today's ride home). Some people will look down on you, but honestly, I've had quite a number of other commuters mention to me that they're thinking about an ebike for their commutes because it would allow them to do it 5 days a week vs 3-4. That doesn't mean they're planning on flying down the trail at 30 mph, but being able to maintain 15-17 mph for 40 miles per day 5 days a week without killing themselves.

anyways, food for thought. and a plug for juiced bikes since they make a really affordable ebike with really good range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post
    that thread is all good info.

I'll throw in my unpopular opinion here though since my commute is 20 miles each way as well. As my screen name implies, I ride an ebike. I started for fitness. I had gotten fat and out of shape (300 lbs, 6', scary BMI). When I was younger, I had biked a lot including some commuting, so it was trying to get back into shape. When I started, I had to use every bit of assistance the bike would give me. Over the past 9 months, I've been dialing it back and will continue to do so until I can do my commute on a regular bike. That said, I've ridden regular bike some days and yeah, it's tough. Mostly because I'm still about 50 lbs overweight. Even when I get to the point where I can commute regularly on an unassisted bike, I might still find myself taking the ebike a couple days a week. The ability to turn up the assistance level if I'm sore or mentally fatigued or even if my knees are bothering me is a great thing. (or when there's a 22 mph headwind like today's ride home). Some people will look down on you, but honestly, I've had quite a number of other commuters mention to me that they're thinking about an ebike for their commutes because it would allow them to do it 5 days a week vs 3-4. That doesn't mean they're planning on flying down the trail at 30 mph, but being able to maintain 15-17 mph for 40 miles per day 5 days a week without killing themselves.

anyways, food for thought. and a plug for juiced bikes since they make a really affordable ebike with really good range.
    Thank you for your input. This is something that I have thought about, but at this very moment as a new homeowner, the funds arenít available for another bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a car / how is your work for parking overnight?

When my commute stretched to 20 miles I drove in with the bike, parked, biked home, and biked in again. Then my work moved again and it's still 20 miles, but just Silver Spring instead of Laurel.
    That's my strategy for tomorrow, so that I can do BTWD. I did it all of 6 times last summer, I'm hoping to do a lot more this summer. I used to bike commute almost every day, when it was 5-10 miles each way. 4 hours of bike riding / commuting just won't fit into my day, where two could.

Anyway, one-way commutes could be an option to explore. 4 days a week, at least, and then you'll either have to do RT on Fridays or alternative transportation.