Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: cycling: How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining

Post Thanks / Like

Default cycling: How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining

"Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.
    "Because the cyclists have the immune system of a 20-year-old rather than a 70- or 80-year-old, it means they have added protection against all these issues."
    Prof Janet Lord, director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing, at the University of Birmingham, and co-author of the research, said: "The immune system declines by about 2-3% a year from our 20s, which is why older people are more susceptible to infections, conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and, potentially, cancer.
    The researchers believe that being physically active in old age will help people respond better to vaccines, and so be better protected against infections such as flu.
    "You don't need to be a competitive athlete to reap the benefits - or be an endurance cyclist - anything which gets you moving and a little bit out of puff will help."
    The older members - in their 80s - say they do only the "short" 100km (62-mile) rides, but this is still highly impressive.
    Cycling 60 miles or more may not be your idea of fun, but these riders have found something that gives them pleasure, which is a key reason why they continue."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    Cycling 60 miles or more may not be your idea of fun,

Wait, wut?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Wait, wut?
    Uh, note the above quote, "Cycling 60 miles or more may not be your idea of fun", is from the article, not me. Cycling IS fun.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikesnick View Post
    Uh, note the above quote, "Cycling 60 miles or more may not be your idea of fun", is from the article, not me. Cycling IS fun.
    Ya, I got that.