Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosshairs Garage Races (Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Crosshairs Garage Races (Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins)

Sorry that I am so late in posting this. I seriously thought someone else beat me to it!

Every Wednesday in March (and one in April) will be the Crystal City Wednesday Night Spins, now called the Crosshairs Garage Races.

Come race or just come watch. Either way, it will be a fun time. Food trucks, beer, and pie!

Register and info here:
    https://www.bikereg.com/crosshairsgarageraces

I will be there every week except the third (Closing Happy Hour for Freezing Saddles) racing. So come say hi!
    Last edited by Sunyata; 03-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.

2. Likes josh, cmj7gh, Emm, Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I should be there tonight eating hand pie and drinking beer and cheering on folks that are racing.

4. Likes Sunyata, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there racing in the open category this week - I'm excited to try it out but a bit nervous! I've been riding loops around the parking deck at W&L High School for practice.

For those that have done this before - any advice on whether I should bring my road bike with 25mm slick tires or my gravel bike with 40mm knobby tires?

I'm leaning toward the gravel bike - it'll be slower but I'm more confident in its ability to stay upright in the corners, and I care more about not crashing than winning =)

6. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in trying this, but wanted to know how safe racing around a garage is.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be "racing" tonight as well, but curious/not sure what bike/tires to bring. I've got fairly-worn 36mm Clement MSOs on my gravel bike, or could put 25mm Conti GPSII what-evers on a road bike (pretty sure they'd fit, 23s on there right now). I'll also be there next week and for the fixed gear race, and planning to go to watch the finale in three weeks.

10. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I raced last year on 32s, 23s and whatever is on Sarah Bee's Brompton. There was one particularly slick corner where lots of people wiped out, including me during a practice lap (on 23s). I'd go wider on the tires.

I've attended most races the past two years. I haven't seen anyone get seriously hurt, but people do crash nearly every race. There are EMS on site just in case.

12. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    I'm interested in trying this, but wanted to know how safe racing around a garage is.
    I had a lot of fun doing it. Basically, it's as safe or as dangerous as you'd like it to be. You can just cruise around and do laps and let the folks that are competitive pass you to get the feel for your first race. When I raced last year, I rode hard on the straights but took it extra cautious on the turns and in traffic. I finished in the lower half of the field, but it was still fun.

14. Likes josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to be there tonight, hopefully arriving sometime between 6 and 6:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to Josh and Chris on completing their first race tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Steve O, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That was fun!

We should totally do it again next week!

It was awesome seeing so many folks out and seeing BAFS friends do their first garage race.

Next week is Pi(e) Day, so come out, race (or just watch), and have a slice of Sol's delicious Acme pie!

19. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O, sjclaeys, josh, Judd and 1 others liked this post