Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency saddle questions

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Emergency saddle questions

Never mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-03-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Never mind.
    Looks like all the weight from that Freezing Saddles tag caused an imbalance that stressed the rail on the other side.

Looks like the saddle stayed on so I hope you weren't injured when it snapped.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! Perhaps there is something about that seatpost that is stressing the rails at the clamp edges. Or it was over-tightened and pinched the rails? I've never broken a saddle rail, but I know people do -- usually doing pretty extreme things, though . If this was just riding along, I'd probably change the seatpost too. (And then you can change to a 2-bolt or other non-indexed seatpost clamp design too.)

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind.
    Yikes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, the emergency was the need for immediate advice about purchasing a saddle, not any physical damage to me. I had noticed something wrong with the saddle (and soreness which I mentioned at HDCC, but attributed to riding more than I am used to). Yesterday before setting out I finally put the bike up on the rack to fiddle with the rear derailleur, and saw the break on the saddle support. I had already been thinking of stopping by a bike shop for brake pads, so went to Spokes to deal with the saddle as well. They suggested a higher end saddle. I would have taken time to consider and chat about choices at coffee club, but they said very dangerous to ride like that. So I needed to decide right away, and that was the emergency. Some positive force in the universe deemed this the right time for reji to offer saddles!

For now I will be riding with the Royal Seta on the old seat post. The guy at Spokes did not suggest a new seat post, but we can have a show and tell at CC.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-04-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Selle Royal Respiro, both the Moderate men version on my upright hybrid, and the Athletic version(one style, unisex) on my road bike. I don't use padded shorts, and they are very comfortable for hours. I routinely do 3 to 5 hours on them comfortably. The air channel makes it noticeably cooler(by a little bit) than a saddle with a cutout in the center. REI used to carry both, but stopped carrying the moderate men version. Here is a link to the athletic version at REI. I damaged my saddle by lifting the bike while the panniers were loaded with 20 lbs+ of stuff, and the gel leaked out slowly, so I am buying another one. I tried this similar size seat from Performance Bike, but it was much harder than Respiro, and couldn't do more than 1 hour without pain, so I returned it.
    Last edited by n18; 03-04-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Corrected that REI actually carry both versions, except the moderate men version(They carry the moderate women version).

Post Thanks / Like

For now I will be riding with the Royal Seta on the old seat post.
    I am guessing this is the seat that you are referring to, which I couldn't find at Selle Royal web site. It looks like it has decorative stitches, which I don't recommend. After long rides, I would feel these stitches. Another area to check if you are buying a good saddle is to squeeze the nose area and compare it with other saddles, if it's hard as rocks, then it's something I would avoid.
    Last edited by n18; 03-04-2018 at 08:54 AM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely consider replacing the seatpost too. For one thing where that rail broke looks like stress from post clamp. Maybe it was over tightened. But a better post will also allow for better angle adjustment (non-indexed). And likely will also weigh a lot less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I would definitely consider replacing the seatpost too. For one thing where that rail broke looks like stress from post clamp. Maybe it was over tightened. But a better post will also allow for better angle adjustment (non-indexed). And likely will also weigh a lot less.
    Seatpost, yeah. You might want to find one with a little further setback, so that you're not beyond the rearward limits of the saddle rails.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the new saddle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180304_190533.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	17305

Here you can see the seat post is scratched. I think the,bike fell over hard at some point recently, and that may have broken the rail.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180304_190636.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	17307

Mp