Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency saddle questions

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point. Are you sure you need your saddle so far back on a setback seatpost?

If your femurs are just super long, you can hopefully fine a post with more setback so you can center the saddle over the clamp.

If you are doing this just to stretch out the bike, you probably want to just get a longer stem ... or a bigger frame.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Aren't the rails supposed to be clamped so that only the area with those white lines is inside the seatpost clamp?

2) Did you examine the clamp to ensure there is no scratched, rough area making contact with your saddle rails? If the rails get scratched, the scratch can be a "stress riser" which can lead to premature failure. Any rough area facing the rails should be sanded smooth, or the post should be replaced.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

er, reji did me the kindness of putting the seat on, in the cold, so I could ride on my errands and home with a seat that was not broken (yay Reji!) I think she tried to line it up with where the old seat was. When I get home tonight I will try to sand down the edge, and adjust the seat location, I guess.

Note I also have new brake pads I need to install. And I need to do more with the barrel adjuster - its shifting better than on Saturday (after watching a video and doing adjustments yesterday evening) but still imperfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    er, reji did me the kindness of putting the seat on, in the cold, so I could ride on my errands and home with a seat that was not broken (yay Reji!) I think she tried to line it up with where the old seat was. When I get home tonight I will try to sand down the edge, and adjust the seat location, I guess.

Note I also have new brake pads I need to install. And I need to do more with the barrel adjuster - its shifting better than on Saturday (after watching a video and doing adjustments yesterday evening) but still imperfect.
    Hard to tell for certain, but from the two pictures it looks like she did a great job of lining it up where the old seat was (hence the notion of getting a seatpost with a bit of a setback).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So the good news is that the bike room had something to use for sanding, and I sanded. And I managed to move the seat forward. I will see how it rides tomorrow morning.

Here is another shot before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180305_185952.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	17344

And here is after some sanding, and moving the saddle further forward.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180305_191505.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	17345

Also I think I got the indexing right, but somehow working well on the rack does not seem to consistently translate into working well on the road.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the barrel adjustment worked, its like 90% good, though not as smooth in all gears as when the bike shop does it.

The seat - well - it made me more upright - to ride in my accustomed posture, I felt like I was falling off the back of the seat. I suppose I could get used to it, but I think I will tweak it back a bit tonight.