Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2018 Trail and Road Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Large tree down on the Mt. Vernon Trail past the Intersection of Doom. You can throw your bike over and climb over. I didn't take a picture of it sadly.
    Just as well. You would've see me struggling to get bike et moi over the durned thing...

P.S. Judd: I parted company with you at the Pentagon trail.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Virginia CCT. Tree down almost every half mile. Only place CCT not passable was Wakefield at two spots - one spot downed power lines and another spot huge tree. Both could detour. Accotink was in the best shape - someone had gone through and cleared branches. Up near Vienna joggers were volunteering to stop and clear debri from the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F22CEBA-1C09-43B7-8EC5-81769D10E0F0.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	17271

Name:	DAEC19ED-3A67-4BF3-8D40-2664AA616F46.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	17272

Name:	8FF1D82C-D4D7-4B62-A7AC-A33CB7DA290A.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	17273
    Last edited by rcannon100; 03-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There were three downed trees totally blocking the C&O just in the mile stretch between Fletchers and Chain Bridge. One was just barely ride-aroundable, but the other two required dismounting and carrying the bike over.

Post Thanks / Like

Large tree down on the Mt. Vernon Trail past the Intersection of Doom. You can throw your bike over and climb over. I didn't take a picture of it sadly.
    Still down. Go Go non-existant CX skills for shouldering and jumping over...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    Still down. Go Go non-existant CX skills for shouldering and jumping over...
    Here's the picture.

Name:	MVT_IOD_Tree.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	17328

Joggers were going around next to the retaining wall this morning.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 03-05-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Observation on the habits of joggers.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all should have bought those Rivendell axes when we had the chance, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Here's the picture.

Name:	MVT_IOD_Tree.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	17328

Joggers were going around next to the retaining wall this morning.
    I had to pick up my panier-laden bike over it - being short makes it a little worse too.
    I e-mailed the county about it - I figured that they plow that section that maybe they clear it too. I received the automated message received reply. Hopefully it won't be there tomorrow morning.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an eventful ride from Seven Corners to Lubber Run yesterday -- along the Rte 50 "Trail" on the north side between Edison and Granada (i.e. where there isn't an easy detour) a down tree blocked the sidewalk. While I was there navigating around it WITH MY TWO KIDS, at least 5 others ended up running/biking on 50 to get around it. Looking at the pics, I now realize that some crew had come to cut it out of the roadway, and left it blocking the trail. #SMH

Then, I kept going on the trail and construction at the intersection of Park Dr and 50 has torn up the trail -- passable, but I had to get kids off the bike. No signage or detour. Not the best day for biking in Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I had to pick up my panier-laden bike over it - being short makes it a little worse too.
    I e-mailed the county about it - I figured that they plow that section that maybe they clear it too. I received the automated message received reply. Hopefully it won't be there tomorrow morning.
    I also reported and asked if they could let folks know before the commute whether it's cleared. Did anyone report this Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    The tweet says this is 4MRT and the MVT, not W&OD.

Hopefully this is just the high tide coming in extra high (which google told me was around 11:30 AM)... low tide should be around commute time which means it'll hopefully be gone by then, although the sand/silt left behind is always slippery.