Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 84

Thread: March 2018 Trail and Road Conditions

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The CCT inside the City line was . . . interesting. It had never been cleared, and what was slush last night refroze into a crunchy mess. Fortunately, stretches had a 4-6 inch semi-cleared path that I threaded with care on deep knobbies. But I managed to make it without so much as a dab, and it's pretty obvious that by afternoon it will be a totally different story.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I too would like to know the condition of the Washington Blvd trail.
    The Washington Blvd trail was clear this morning. I'm thinking I'll continue to skip the Trollheim for the rest of this week. It could get to 80°F during the day and that sucker would still be iced up. Any news to the contrary would be welcome.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I rode the W&OD westbound from Shreve Rd in Falls Church to Church St in Vienna between 10:00 and 11:00 this morning. There were stretches that were clear, and most of the way had melted enough that pavement was showing through abundantly. The usual places were still very icy and very rough going. Both of the overpasses were deep in snow and icy underneath. I will be going back that way in an hour or so, but I will likely take streets through Vienna and pick the trail up at Branch Ave or maybe by Navy Federal. If I have time, I'll post about it again before the evening commute.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    808
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I rode the W&OD westbound from Shreve Rd in Falls Church to Church St in Vienna between 10:00 and 11:00 this morning. There were stretches that were clear, and most of the way had melted enough that pavement was showing through abundantly. The usual places were still very icy and very rough going. Both of the overpasses were deep in snow and icy underneath. I will be going back that way in an hour or so, but I will likely take streets through Vienna and pick the trail up at Branch Ave or maybe by Navy Federal. If I have time, I'll post about it again before the evening commute.
    You could try staying on Electric to Cedar, then Cedar to Oak (across Gallows), crossing the beltway to Providence, to Helena, to Idylwood, to Virginia Ave. Then decide where to get back on the W&OD along Virginia.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    You could try staying on Electric to Cedar, then Cedar to Oak (across Gallows), crossing the beltway to Providence, to Helena, to Idylwood, to Virginia Ave. Then decide where to get back on the W&OD along Virginia.
    Thanks; I have an entire road route that I can use, but I was just going on the trail to see how bad it was!

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default MVT and 14th Street bridge this morning

    I'm glad I rode on studded tires today. MVT was mostly clear except for the bridges. This was at about 9:30 this morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-03-22 at 3.07.40 PM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	17687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-03-22 at 3.08.48 PM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	17688

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My eastbound ride from Vienna on the W&OD was much improved. I left work at about 2:30, picked up the trail at Branch Ave (just below the climb up to Navy Federal), and rode all the way to Grove Ave in Falls Church (just past Citizens' Bridge). The trail is 90% clear and dry! The typical bad spots are still very wet, but mostly clear of slush and ice. Even the overpasses are improved: they’re free of bumpy ice, but still deep in wet slush. The exception is the eastbound lane of Citizens' Bridge, which is still mostly covered in heavy snow; if you stay to the left, though, it’s clearer and slushier, just use caution. The westbound lane of the bridge looked clear as I approached, but once I got onto the bridge I couldn’t see over there to tell whether it was actually clear.

    tl;dr
    I will be forgoing studs tomorrow: even if there is re-freezing overnight, those areas should be very limited.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Someone on the CCT Facebook page said it's closed at River Road on account of ice falling from the nearby TV Tower.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Rode Crystal City Connector and north on the MVT across the 14th St Bridge right at sunup (hybrid with 35 mm, no studs)

    A bit of the Crystal City Connector is single track (from the bike counter to the GWMP underpass)

    The two northern bridges on the MVT at DCA were crunchy with ice chunks. I Flintstoned.

    MVT was almost universally clear, with a small amount of single track and only one patch (maybe 8-10 feet) of glaze ice from refreeze (near Gravelly Point)

    14th St Bridge was clear except for about 100 feet on the DC end where I Flintstoned.

    DC along the Mall was clear and dry.

    With the sun, much of the issues I noted will be short lived.

    Thanks for taking the time to post this this morning. I was on the fence about trying it this morning from Old Town to Penn Quarter. And this cinched it for me. The trail was exactly as described at around 9. Made it in on plain old 38s. Even the bridges were crunchy enough to ride. Only saw three other bikes the whole time, but the trail was 95% clear. Thanks again!!

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    The Washington Blvd trail was clear this morning. I'm thinking I'll continue to skip the Trollheim for the rest of this week. It could get to 80°F during the day and that sucker would still be iced up. Any news to the contrary would be welcome.
    Trollheim was surprisingly clear this afternoon (except for a small patch under the bridge). MVT from Georgetown to 4MR was clear.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •