Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Thousand Mile March (Fundraiser for the March For Our Lives)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thousand Mile March (Fundraiser for the March For Our Lives)

    As I was riding to work this week, I had a chance to reflect on my cycling goals for the year and how to make it more meaningful. To that end, I've decided to combine my cycling goal with a personal goal this month and to ride a thousand miles this March to raise money for the students organizing the March For Our Lives in Washington, DC on March 24th.

    Now I know 1,000 miles is a typical month for some of you, but for me it's going to be a real challenge.

    Please consider sponsoring a small part of my 1,000 mile goal with just a penny, nickel, dime, or even quarter per mile. My rides this month will witness the changing of the seasons from winter into spring (and back again over and over) here in Virginia and DC, and in that way will hopefully resemble the gun debate's gradual transformation into something that flowers and bears fruit as well.

    Please visit my campaign for more information and to make a donation: https://www.gofundme.com/thousandmilemarch/
    My rides will all be on Strava, and I'll post updates weekly: https://www.strava.com/athletes/11471

    Every single donation is sincerely appreciated, and will help keep me going even when the weather turns cold and wet. Your encouragement is welcome as well. Please feel free to share this with others who would like to be a part of this effort. All non-anonymous donors will be recognized at the end of the month.

    Adam
    Last edited by aschildg; 03-01-2018 at 09:07 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You provided the wrong link, but some quick searching found the right go fund me

    https://www.gofundme.com/thousandmilemarch/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aschildg View Post
    To that end, I've decided to combine my cycling goal with a personal goal this month and to ride a thousand miles this March to raise money for the students organizing the March For Our Lives in Washington, DC on March 24th.
    Oh, and if you can get most of these miles done before the end of Freezing Saddles I'll double my donation

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Oh, and if you can get most of these miles done before the end of Freezing Saddles I'll double my donation
    Thanks for correcting the link! Should have begun with "www."

    And I will try to front-load as many of the miles as I can! 36 down already.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thousand Mile March, Week 1 Update

    Thank you to everyone who has donated! As of March 4th, we are 132 miles toward our 1,000 mile goal and have raised $2,830 of our $5,000 goal.

    Your support will help the students organizing the March For Our Lives send a message to our country’s leaders about gun violence: #NeverAgain.

    https://www.gofundme.com/thousandmilemarch

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thousand Mile March, Week 2 Update

    Thank you to everyone who has donated so far! As of March 12th, we've made good progress (along with the Parkland students and the Florida legislature), and are up to 432 miles and $3,250 of our $5,000 mile goal. I sympathize with any doubters who are waiting until we hit 1K to kick in their sponsorship, but hopefully our good track record thus far will convince more sponsors to clip in and support this ride. Thank you!

    Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/thousandmilemarch

    All donations prior to March 24th will be sent here: https://marchforourlives.com/donate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thousand Mile March, Week 3-ish Update

    Thank you to everyone who has kicked in their support so far! As of March 19th, we're completely on pace, with 660.2 miles ridden (check Strava!) and $3,400 raised of our $5,000 mile goal. Thank you!

    Donations/sponsorships gladly accepted here: https://www.gofundme.com/thousandmilemarch

    All donations received prior to March 24th will be forwarded to the March for our Lives Action Fund. Doubters will have their donations forwarded to Everytown for Gun Safety to keep this momentum going.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thousand Mile March, "Almost Done" Update - 3/29/18

    As of March 29th, mid-day, I'm at 945.6 miles ridden and $3,600 raised for March for Our Lives. The march was great - as I'm sure many of you saw on the news or with your own eyes. Thank you to everyone who took part, or helped with your donations!

    Once I hit the 1,000 mile mark tomorrow afternoon, I am going to fall off my bike and lay on the ground for a few days, then be back up and riding. I look forward to seeing everyone at the April 9, Freezing Saddles HH!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fort Hunt, VA
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Final (Post-March) Update!

    Hi everyone! I arrived home on my bike this past Friday to find my kids ringing bells and cheering the completion of my Thousand Mile March. I am grateful for the support that everyone - friends, family, neighbors. and fellow cyclists - have given to this cause, and for the difference we have made in the campaign against gun violence.

    I completed exactly 1,000 miles over 49 rides during the month of March, with an average starting temperature of 39 degrees and a total ride time of 61 hours and 23 minutes.

    In terms of our fundraising goal, we have raised $4,750 of our $5,000 target. I KNOW there are some folks out there who may have doubted that I'd ride the entire distance. If that's you -- maybe you thought the WIND, the COLD, or the RAIN AND SNOW would deter me -- this is your last chance to be the hero that helps us get across the finish line. I will close the fundraiser and make our final donation this week, so please help us reach our goal. I did it (and so did the marchers!), and your help will keep this momentum going.

    To everyone else, spring is coming! I am sure of it. And I for one am ready for some warmer and less windy months...

    Sincerely,
    Adam

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Falls Church VA
    Posts
    318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aschildg View Post
    Final (Post-March) Update!

    Hi everyone! I arrived home on my bike this past Friday to find my kids ringing bells and cheering the completion of my Thousand Mile March. I am grateful for the support that everyone - friends, family, neighbors. and fellow cyclists - have given to this cause, and for the difference we have made in the campaign against gun violence.

    I completed exactly 1,000 miles over 49 rides during the month of March, with an average starting temperature of 39 degrees and a total ride time of 61 hours and 23 minutes.

    In terms of our fundraising goal, we have raised $4,750 of our $5,000 target. I KNOW there are some folks out there who may have doubted that I'd ride the entire distance. If that's you -- maybe you thought the WIND, the COLD, or the RAIN AND SNOW would deter me -- this is your last chance to be the hero that helps us get across the finish line. I will close the fundraiser and make our final donation this week, so please help us reach our goal. I did it (and so did the marchers!), and your help will keep this momentum going.

    To everyone else, spring is coming! I am sure of it. And I for one am ready for some warmer and less windy months...

    Sincerely,
    Adam
    Well done! Congrats!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •