Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Garmin

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased an Elemnt Bolt and got to use the turn by turn directions this past weekend on the brew tour. It worked almost flawlessly. The only issue was when I turned the device off at a stop and then turned it back on, it took a minute to get the chevron arrows back. The route was shaded slightly darker grey, so I could still figure out where I needed to go, but I was a bit disappointed that it took a minute or so to get back to the turn by turn. My Garmin 520 never lost the visual "line", but it also never really gave turn by turn directions, so...

I also love how the Elemnt interfaces with Ride with GPS. I went into the app, picked the route I wanted, and boom... There it was on the GPS. Amazing. And WAY simpler than trying to push a route to the Garmin 520 through the Connect IQ app.

If you are in the market for a new GPS, I highly recommend the Elemnt Bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think my bitter complaining helped sway you. It's bananas that the Edge 820, which has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, needs 3rd party apps and services just to make it behave more like a modern device.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    It's bananas that the Edge 820, which has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, needs 3rd party apps and services just to make it behave more like a modern device.
    Garmin is a TERRIBLE software company. I'd love it if they'd open source their firmware so people could fix the software.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Garmin is a TERRIBLE software company. I'd love it if they'd open source their firmware so people could fix the software.
    Well, if they can't even open their IQ API up to third-party developers without requiring a huge fee, I rather doubt they'll open up their OS. I'd be interested to learn how their firmware works; I wonder it it's a real-time OS, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't expect them to actually do it, but it would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin 820, and have had relatively few problems with it. I update the software regularly, and I think that helps. I probably don't use all the functionality it's capable of... I don't really need it. It pairs with my HRM, PM, speed sensor (which you don't really need, but I think it more reliable than GPS). Nav works well, but shortens the lifespan of the battery charge. So too does putting anything on your main page that causes it to "report" often (for a while, I had a D-Fly function on it, but I got rid of it due to its impact on how long the device stayed charged).

I was an early ELEMENT adopter, but it was not ready for prime time when it was introduced. Navigation was poor. One of my buds has it, and he says it's much improved, but not as robust as Garmin. I'm waiting for Karoo... should be coming "any time now". My buddy will be working for them. They have some software issues, but the hw is awesome, and sw is fixable. It is a BIG device. You could watch a football game on it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jctonett View Post
    I'm waiting for Karoo... should be coming "any time now". My buddy will be working for them. They have some software issues, but the hw is awesome, and sw is fixable. It is a BIG device. You could watch a football game on it...
    Agreed - it is huge. (More thoughts are in a separate thread starting http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...204#post175204)