Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logging Maintenance Activites

Post Thanks / Like

I have a notebook in the car glove box for when I change my oil etc., but have been too lazy to do something similar for the bikes. I used to go by the purchase dates on receipts and correlate that to the mileage a bike had at a particular date, but I've got in the habit lately of buying chains, cassettes, brake pads, and tires in advance so I always have spares, so I recently realized that no longer works. I now have to decide if this is something I wish to continue to care about or if I should allow myself to be more like Judd.

I think I'm going to buy a notebook or make a spreadsheet today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    This seems really short to me, but I guess pads are cheap, especially rim brake pads. I switched to metallic pads with my disc brakes. According to Strava I got 2400mi out of my last set.
    Yes but don't forget that the Xtracycle fully loaded (me + 2 kids + the bike + backpacks etc) is in the neighborhood of 400 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    This seems really short to me, but I guess pads are cheap, especially rim brake pads. I switched to metallic pads with my disc brakes. According to Strava I got 2400mi out of my last set.
    It's all relative - that seemed perfectly reasonable (if annoying) to me - but that's because the most I've gotten out of a set of rear pads was 900 miles, and now that I'm riding more with the trailercycle, I'm probably closer to 700 miles of useful life the last few sets. And that's with only one younger/smaller kid on a mostly trail-based #kidical commute (so less stop and go traffic to deal with).

Post Thanks / Like

I've kept a spreadsheet going for the past 6 years tracking my mileage (odometer) for each bike, a few other stats (year's mileage, month's mileage, daily average), and a category for notes on any mechanical changes (flat tire, chain/cassette replacement, spokes, wheel installation, repairs, cleaning, etc.). I update it with a new entry probably once a week. It's incredibly useful to be able to track what's going on with each of my bikes, especially in my case for flats as a sign of tire wear.

I can upload a copy of it to Google Drive and post the link this evening (read: late tonight for y'all).

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I should allow myself to be more like Judd.
    Wise words.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I got 5,000 miles out of a pair of disc brake pads once. The key is to wear away all of the pad and then keep going for a few thousand more miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I can upload a copy of it to Google Drive and post the link this evening (read: late tonight for y'all).
    Here's a link to a 2017 version of the spreadsheet in Excel format: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13R3...ew?usp=sharing

P.S. There's a lot going on in it, but let me know if you have any questions.