Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging Maintenance Activites

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logging Maintenance Activites

What do you do to log maintenance of your bike? Like since when did you oil the chain, or at what mileage did you change a tire, etc.

Currently I keep everything in a text file with date and mileage, and I am exploring more options, like putting a big 12 month calendar next to the bike to make notes, or look for phone apps.

Searching for decent phone apps takes time, but a quick one I found is the one from Feedback Sports(iPhone link, Google Play link, and for those who don't want to create a Google account, click here). It's free without ads, and claims that it would get mileage information from Strava.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Lumberjack Maintenance Plan:

If it squeaks, put some lubricant on it.
    Ride it until it breaks, then replace it.

Write nothing down ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

Write nothing down ever.
    This is my plan too...

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    What do you do to log maintenance of your bike?
    ME "Yo, ah, Pete, should that doohicky be dangling from that thingy??"

PETE "Um, dude, do you ever oil your bike?"

ME "Oil??"

Post Thanks / Like

Strava allows you to add components to your gear from the website (if you just wanted to track wear and tear), but it doesn't look like the interface is as friendly as the Feedback app. The latter is what I'd use if I were more organized about that kind of stuff and wasn't living the n=1 life (though I will need to log my annual gearbox oil changes for warranty purposes).

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a spreadsheet where i keep track of the mileage on my 3 bikes plus the car. I keep it mostly so I can be smug about the months where I do more bike miles than car miles. But I also add when I do maintenance. I don't really use this information for much except complaining about how fast the longtail goes through brake pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I have a spreadsheet where i keep track of the mileage on my 3 bikes plus the car. I keep it mostly so I can be smug about the months where I do more bike miles than car miles. But I also add when I do maintenance. I don't really use this information for much except complaining about how fast the longtail goes through brake pads.
    For the car, I have an Automatic Pro (plugs into the OBD-II port, has a 3G connection, so I can get real-time notifications/tracking of where the car is/parked/any error codes it throws out/crash detection/etc.). I figure it's not fair for only Google and Strava to have that kind of data on my whereabouts...

And for brake pads...I don't think I've gotten more than 900 miles out of a pair (and that was with a lot less #kidical riding). Amazing what stopping that added weight does to brake pad wear.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    And for brake pads...I don't think I've gotten more than 900 miles out of a pair (and that was with a lot less #kidical riding). Amazing what stopping that added weight does to brake pad wear.
    I get less than 500 on my rear pads. I think it's from signalling with my left hand while braking with the right, plus being right handed so I probably naturally pull a little harder on that side.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even have that much of a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

Write nothing down ever.
    You forgot one critical detail: When replacing broken components, always use it as a chance to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Strava allows you to add components to your gear from the website (if you just wanted to track wear and tear), but it doesn't look like the interface is as friendly as the Feedback app. The latter is what I'd use if I were more organized about that kind of stuff and wasn't living the n=1 life (though I will need to log my annual gearbox oil changes for warranty purposes).
    This is what I use since mileage is automatically calculated for me. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I get less than 500 on my rear pads. I think it's from signalling with my left hand while braking with the right, plus being right handed so I probably naturally pull a little harder on that side.
    This seems really short to me, but I guess pads are cheap, especially rim brake pads. I switched to metallic pads with my disc brakes. According to Strava I got 2400mi out of my last set.