Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2018 ABAC Meeting - Police and the Pike

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Default March 2018 ABAC Meeting - Police and the Pike

March's Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting will be on the Pike and about the Pike! We will be in the Walter Reed Community Center Conference Room A on March 5th from 7-9pm. If you have concerns about biking on and around Columbia Pike, please come.

We can start the discussion on this thread: what safety issues do you see biking on Columbia Pike? What solutions would you suggest? What would you like to discuss with ACPD?

And while we're there, we will talk to the Police and about safety on the Pike (agenda below)! All are welcome. Please help spread the word!

The Agenda will be (approximately):
    7pm: Introductions, Approval of minutes
    7:05pm: New business (anyone can raise a topic of interest, for approximately 2 minutes/each)
    7:15pm: ACPD (Lt. Murphy will be back to talk about what the crash data from 2017 shows us, and to talk about safety on the Pike and what ACPD has been doing about it).
    8:00pm: Bike on the Pike (We'll deep dive into safety issues on Columbia Pike and discuss suggestions for the County to address them).
    9:00pm: Adjorn

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot attend the meeting and not specifically bike related, but I'd like to know the status of the plan to convert the pedestrian activated crosswalk light to a stop light at the intersection of Columbia Pike and S Frederick St.

Cars routinely ignore the lights and this Arlnow article published after a woman from my building was hit trying to cross there in 2014 summarizes the issue: https://www.arlnow.com/2014/12/10/re...derick-street/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably be there.

Completely agree with Dave's feedback about Columbia Pike and Frederick. When I first moved here, I nearly hit a pedestrian in this crosswalk because there aren't rapid flashing beacons where I come from and a flashing yellow signal means proceed with caution. My experience with RFBs have been that they're useless and don't get cars to stop.

Other issues:
    There are several parts of the Pike where the pavement is frequently very torn up and warped (like 6 to 8 inch pavement depressions and swells) because it's places where heavy busses stop. Scott St, S. Courthouse, S. Barton and Walter Reed in front of Papillion are frequent victims. This is dangerous for both cars and cyclists and could be fixed by replacing with concrete road surface as is done in several parts of DC.

Everything about the ramps on Washington Blvd as evidenced by the number of crashes involving cyclists there in the past year. Cars exiting Washington Blvd on the Pike frequently do not stop and drivers frequently do not look both ways before rolling through. The Google Maps Streetview illustrates this: https://goo.gl/maps/weP1YXu9NRJ2 Shuttle driver pulled into the crosswalk, looking left so that he can make a right on red. This could be helped by adding stop strips before the light, barring right on red, raising the crosswalk, and squaring off the turns with a curb bump out or the installation of flexposts. Some targeted enforcement from ACPD every once in a while might be nice as well.

Heading eastbound, the variable lane signals to exit on to 395 are frequently disobeyed. Here's the street view: https://goo.gl/maps/bygXKqm5Hw12 During morning rush cars can exit on to 395 from either lane. During most other times, only the right lane can turn right, but cars will still frequently turn from the left lane even though the right lane goes straight (or can turn right). This means that every time I bike here, there's a strong possibility that a car will right hook me when I'm legally using the right lane to go straight. This could use some enforcement.

The W&OD Trail Crossing needs an LPI or a dedicated cross signal where all traffic is stopped. Trail traffic is high for this crossing and currently cars turning right off of Four Mile Run conflict with the trail crossing. It's particularly difficult when the car starts to make a right turn on red and then the crosswalk activates.

The north sidewalk on the bridge over Four Mile Run is terribly narrow and can barely accommodate two pedestrians using it at the same time. It can not accommodate a bike and a pedestrian at the same time, which is a shame because there is a CaBi station across the bridge at the Arlington Mill Community Center. I seem to recall that there was discussion of widening this or putting in a pedestrian bridge. I believe the four lanes of traffic are wide enough that a foot could be taken from each lane to widen this sidewalk.

The entire length of the bike should have dedicated bus/bike lanes.

The County should turn this parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/rLieNmsnKgH2) that was formerly the site for recycling dumpsters into the Arlington Bicycle Campus, a dedicated facility for bicycle education courses. I will commit to providing free bicycle education courses taught by League Certified Instructors for free if the County will spring for some asphalt sealant and paint.

I've got lots of other comments but they stray more in to PACs territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Judd, you hit everything I wanted to highlight plus many issues I simply *lived with*. These are all the reasons my wife *will not* ride the Pike. And I was leading Papillon shop rides through here, once or twice with children, because there was no other option. :O . Join us if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'll probably be there.

Completely agree with Dave's feedback about Columbia Pike and Frederick. When I first moved here, I nearly hit a pedestrian in this crosswalk because there aren't rapid flashing beacons where I come from and a flashing yellow signal means proceed with caution. My experience with RFBs have been that they're useless and don't get cars to stop.

Other issues:
    There are several parts of the Pike where the pavement is frequently very torn up and warped (like 6 to 8 inch pavement depressions and swells) because it's places where heavy busses stop. Scott St, S. Courthouse, S. Barton and Walter Reed in front of Papillion are frequent victims. This is dangerous for both cars and cyclists and could be fixed by replacing with concrete road surface as is done in several parts of DC.

Everything about the ramps on Washington Blvd as evidenced by the number of crashes involving cyclists there in the past year. Cars exiting Washington Blvd on the Pike frequently do not stop and drivers frequently do not look both ways before rolling through. The Google Maps Streetview illustrates this: https://goo.gl/maps/weP1YXu9NRJ2 Shuttle driver pulled into the crosswalk, looking left so that he can make a right on red. This could be helped by adding stop strips before the light, barring right on red, raising the crosswalk, and squaring off the turns with a curb bump out or the installation of flexposts. Some targeted enforcement from ACPD every once in a while might be nice as well.

Heading eastbound, the variable lane signals to exit on to 395 are frequently disobeyed. Here's the street view: https://goo.gl/maps/bygXKqm5Hw12 During morning rush cars can exit on to 395 from either lane. During most other times, only the right lane can turn right, but cars will still frequently turn from the left lane even though the right lane goes straight (or can turn right). This means that every time I bike here, there's a strong possibility that a car will right hook me when I'm legally using the right lane to go straight. This could use some enforcement.

The W&OD Trail Crossing needs an LPI or a dedicated cross signal where all traffic is stopped. Trail traffic is high for this crossing and currently cars turning right off of Four Mile Run conflict with the trail crossing. It's particularly difficult when the car starts to make a right turn on red and then the crosswalk activates.

The north sidewalk on the bridge over Four Mile Run is terribly narrow and can barely accommodate two pedestrians using it at the same time. It can not accommodate a bike and a pedestrian at the same time, which is a shame because there is a CaBi station across the bridge at the Arlington Mill Community Center. I seem to recall that there was discussion of widening this or putting in a pedestrian bridge. I believe the four lanes of traffic are wide enough that a foot could be taken from each lane to widen this sidewalk.

The entire length of the bike should have dedicated bus/bike lanes.

The County should turn this parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/rLieNmsnKgH2) that was formerly the site for recycling dumpsters into the Arlington Bicycle Campus, a dedicated facility for bicycle education courses. I will commit to providing free bicycle education courses taught by League Certified Instructors for free if the County will spring for some asphalt sealant and paint.

I've got lots of other comments but they stray more in to PACs territory.

Post Thanks / Like

At Washington Blvd, turning right from the Westbound Washington Blvd ramp to Westbound Columbia Pike, it is very hard to see bikes going eastbound on the north side, and even pedestrians. The bridge blocks the sight line for anyone coming through. No right turn on red would probably help.

For eastbound Columbia Pike to 395, it would be best to get rid of the stripes on the road and just go with the visual signals. The striping confuses the situation and forces someone driving to comprehend the sign ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode through here for the first time recently, and I did not realize these were variable lanes. I think I saw the paint on the lanes but not the overhead signs. I was rather uncomfortable, because I was not certain where I should position myself for maximum (haha) safety. Thankfully it was a low traffic time of day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I rode through here for the first time recently, and I did not realize these were variable lanes. I think I saw the paint on the lanes but not the overhead signs. I was rather uncomfortable, because I was not certain where I should position myself for maximum (haha) safety. Thankfully it was a low traffic time of day.
    During morning rush hour, take the left lane once you pass S. Courthouse. It’s downhill, so you’ll be near traffic speed.

During other times take (as in straight down the middle) of the right lane. As you approach the exit ramp, start looking for asshats that are going to illegally right hook you from the left lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judd; 03-04-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The reality check- regardless of how the lane signals are configured, whether I'm on 2 wheels or 4, I must have a contingency plan to avoid someone who disregards those signals.

Post Thanks / Like

During other times take (as in rude straight down the middle of) the right lane. As you approach the exit ramp, start looking for asshats who are going...
    That's what all those honking cars call it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what all those honking cars call it.
    GD Autocorrect. Taking a lane is not rude and I do it any time the lane is not of sufficient width for a car to legally pass within the lane.