Likes Likes:  119
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Ride 3/3: Kitty's Sushi Roll - Japanese History and Culture in DC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Group Ride 3/3: Kitty's Sushi Roll - Japanese History and Culture in DC

Minna-san Konnichiwa! In advance of the sakura explosion (and attendant tourist hordes descending on the district), I am putting together a group ride to various points of interest related to Japanese history and culture in DC!

For those of you who only see me in bike garb, my day job is US-Asia relations and my area of expertise is Japan. Join me on this ride to learn fun facts to dazzle your friends when the cherry blossoms do bloom, visit interesting sites you may have missed, and (optional) have lunch at a Japanese restaurant that specializes in some traditional home cooking (as well as sushi). You might also learn some Japanese!

Further details (route etc.) are forthcoming, but here are the basics:

Date: Saturday, March 3rd (I know its short notice, but I've only just gotten back from the country in question... and I seriously want to do this pre-blossom >.>)
    Pre-Ride Coffee Option: 8:15ish-8:45ish Phil's Coffee Navy Yard (1331 4th St. SE, #101, Washington, D.C., 20003) -- If you want coffee, come with enough time before roll-out!
    Ride Start: 8:45 - Gather; 8:50 - Safety Talk; 9:00am Roll Out! (Phil's Coffee Navy Yard)
    Ride End:: 11:00-11:30(?) Near Farragut
    Optional Lunch: Noonish: Kotobuki (4822 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington, DC 20007)*
    Route: All in DC using as much bike infrastructure as possible, 6-7 stops, one restroom break. (Note: City route means city riding, with cars and stoplights. Everyone be cool )
    Distance: ~11 mi (ride only), ~16 mi (ride + lunch)

*I am going to check ahead to see what their capacity is. If its limited, I may have to set up an RSVP system and make a reservation. Thank you for your understanding.

With that, let me know who's interested! Yoroshiku ne~
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long-riders.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	17096

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Minna-san Konnichiwa! In advance of the sakura explosion (and attendant tourist hordes descending on the district), I am putting together a group ride to various points of interest related to Japanese history and culture in DC!

For those of you who only see me in bike garb, my day job is US-Asia relations and my area of expertise is Japan. Join me on this ride to learn fun facts to dazzle your friends when the cherry blossoms do bloom, visit interesting sites you may have missed, and (optional) have lunch at a Japanese restaurant that specializes in some traditional home cooking (as well as sushi). You might also learn some Japanese!

Further details (route etc.) are forthcoming, but here are the basics:

Date: Saturday, March 3rd (I know its short notice, but I've only just gotten back from the country in question... and I seriously want to do this pre-blossom >.>)
    Pre-Ride Coffee Option: 8:15ish-8:45ish Phil's Coffee Navy Yard (1331 4th St. SE, #101, Washington, D.C., 20003) -- If you want coffee, come with enough time before roll-out!
    Ride Start: 8:45 - Gather; 8:50 - Safety Talk; 9:00am Roll Out! (Phil's Coffee Navy Yard)
    Ride End:: 11:00-11:30(?) Near Farragut
    Optional Lunch: Noonish: Kotobuki (4822 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington, DC 20007)*
    Route: All in DC using as much bike infrastructure as possible, 6-7 stops, one restroom break. (Note: City route means city riding, with cars and stoplights. Everyone be cool )
    Distance: ~11 mi (ride only), ~16 mi (ride + lunch)

*I am going to check ahead to see what their capacity is. If its limited, I may have to set up an RSVP system and make a reservation. Thank you for your understanding.

With that, let me know who's interested! Yoroshiku ne~
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long-riders.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	17096
    Im interested! Sounds fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably in, but only if LSG wins this ride by wearing a kimono and going full kabuki.

Post Thanks / Like

I once did a mean Danjuro but my orientalist past makes me feel profoundly icky now.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

So this will be just like riding in Tokyo and Kyoto? I'm in unless I have to go to Richmond for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

はい

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in! Sounds like fun, thanks for organizing Kitty!

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm hoping to make it!

Post Thanks / Like

Regrets! I will be out of the country. I will however be with yall in spirit and in socks. Stay posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great! So far so good! I'm narrowing down the stops. There is a lot in the city/area, but its not all close or "comfortable riding adjacent." As it stands, some changes are being made due to construction.

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    I once did a mean Danjuro but my orientalist past makes me feel profoundly icky now.
    I KNO RITE? In 8th grade I tried to dress-up as a geisha for Halloween... *smh*

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    So this will be just like riding in Tokyo and Kyoto? I'm in unless I have to go to Richmond for the weekend.
    Having experienced a bit of both, since I plan on us wearing helmets and not riding on the sidewalk, no.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Regrets! I will be out of the country. I will however be with yall in spirit and in socks. Stay posted
    That's a good excuse!