Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1

Thread: Potential issue for Pennsylvania Avenue Protected Bike Lanes

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potential issue for Pennsylvania Avenue Protected Bike Lanes

I assume the impact of a (or several ) main battle tank(s), and similar equipment, on the pavement of Pennsylvania Avenue would be problematic for usage of the PBL afterwards? Would the repaving afterwards take no longer than usual repaving?

I ask this here, as I don't think the media has yet discussed the issue of the cycle track, and we as DC areas bike riders are the community to discuss it.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 02-06-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: not really worried about the impact on the pavement of the Turnpike, say

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the President wants a parade. And by God he's gonna get one. (sigh)

Most of us remember George (the father) Bush's Gulf War parade. There was worry then about the big tanks tearing up Constitution Ave. I remember indentations in the asphalt, that as predicted, "smoothed themselves out" over time. I would worry more about whether the severely corroded drawspan on Memorial Bridge could currently support that weight. No article has yet mentioned the Pennsylvania Ave cycletrack. Not yet. The bollards and other traffic furniture were always removed for the Inaugural parades and returned afterwards. We have to fight to keep what we have, true, but I'm wary of attracting Trump's attention. It likely wouldn't go well.

Post Thanks / Like

When little Donnie comes out to play with his toys, it will be more than just cyclists who will need to watch out.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    When little Donnie comes out to play with his toys, it will be more than just cyclists who will need to watch out.
    From Trump's youtube account: https://youtu.be/hdsVjfKRiw4

Post Thanks / Like

I think, judging from the groundswell of reaction *against* the parade that the President's EGO *requires*... this might all be academic. Then again, I have never personally seen our government in such peril...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cycle Track

I just assumed the entire parade fiasco was proposed by bike lane haters who saw their opportunity to strike a blow for cars.

Post Thanks / Like

An M-1 weighs 60 tons. The weight limit on the Memorial Bridge is 10 tons. The damage to DC streets could be mitigated with weight limits. A parade is a really bad idea nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

If the parade happens, presumably they'll do the same as for the inauguration, which is remove all the obstacles (stop lights, bike lane protectors, etc.). But instead of repaving beforehand it will be done afterwards, including the bike lanes, and then everything will get reinstalled. It's hard to imagine that they'd repave the car lanes but not the bike lanes (or do the bike lanes later).