Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WABA's Last Vasa Ride March 2018

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    We're signed up for Halvvasan as well. Though if it's snowing we may show up with x-c skis instead of a bike. Have the coffee, the blueberry soup, a beer with #TeamHomebrewer and call it a day.
    In the eleven years I've either ridden or followed the Vasa Ride, it only snowed once, 3/1/2010 on the 3rd annual ride. I think there were fewer than 20 riders for the full Vasa that year. It's exciting to see the possibility of five inches for the final Vasa. If you'd rather ride in sunshine, come to Frankfurt where it will be in the mid-60s.
    Last edited by consularrider; 04-04-2018 at 01:26 AM.

2. Likes sjclaeys, ginacico liked this post
    ELITE DSalovesh ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because I've failed to check in here, I am marshalling the 60 miler. Because I'm committed to marshal, unless WABA cancels, I'm obligated to do the full distance in the "lousy Smarch weather." All are welcome to join #TeamKitty, even #TeamHomeBrewer and #TeamSteveO. Lord knows we're all going to be split by traffic lights (there are many) and hills.

Given lack of conditioning on my part, and that weather conditions will likely mean boots and wide wheels instead of cleats and road skinnys, I am not anticipating being super fast. As such I am going to try for an early roll-out close to the 8:30am start.

I was already planning on getting beer, though I was thinking Right Proper Brookland (because I haven't been and it opens at Noon). I can be persuaded to other places though if their selection is decent. I will also need warm food, which can be purchased from site of beer, or taken/ordered to site of beer if they're into that sort of thing.

I'm hoping to see folks there! It will make the day a bit brighter.

4. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Because I've failed to check in here, I am marshalling the 60 miler. Because I'm committed to marshal, unless WABA cancels, I'm obligated to do the full distance in the "lousy Smarch weather." All are welcome to join #TeamKitty, even #TeamHomeBrewer and #TeamSteveO. Lord knows we're all going to be split by traffic lights (there are many) and hills.

Given lack of conditioning on my part, and that weather conditions will likely mean boots and wide wheels instead of cleats and road skinnys, I am not anticipating being super fast. As such I am going to try for an early roll-out close to the 8:30am start.

I was already planning on getting beer, though I was thinking Right Proper Brookland (because I haven't been and it opens at Noon). I can be persuaded to other places though if their selection is decent. I will also need warm food, which can be purchased from site of beer, or taken/ordered to site of beer if they're into that sort of thing.

I'm hoping to see folks there! It will make the day a bit brighter.
    Right Proper Brookland does not have food unless a food truck is there. Wunder Garten has food and is a "climate controlled" beer garden, whatever that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an email from WABA saying that there will be Swedish meatballs at REI and Vasa Ride participants get drink specials at Wunder Garten.

7. ELITE Kitty ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Right Proper Brookland does not have food unless a food truck is there. Wunder Garten has food and is a "climate controlled" beer garden, whatever that is.
    ...and has drink specials for Vasa riders. (Climate controlled means they have an enclosed tent in addition to the outdoor stuff.)

Post Thanks / Like

If I sign up for the 60-miler then later decide to do the 30-miler instead, how hard will my wrist be slapped?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    If I sign up for the 60-miler then later decide to do the 30-miler instead, how hard will my wrist be slapped?

If the weather is really terrible, I may go shorter than the 30 miler (but will try to let LhasaCM know if I do). And may head into the wundergarten, and drink if they have a decent cider. #whyisNationalBeerDayOnTheLastDayofPassover? #NoIdontjudgeanyone #YesIrideOnShabbatbecauseasidefromHalachicdetailsI stherebetterproofthanbikesthatG-dlovesus? #pleasestopwiththehashtagsKenyoudontknowhowtouseth em

11. Likes Kitty, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Not at all? WABA doesn't care. You could also do a 45ish miler by going to the Potomac pitstop for the 60 miler and then just skipping the 13 mile loop to the northwest. Or go to the Bethesda pitstop and then take Metro back to REI to get soup. Whatever you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    In the eleven years I've either ridden or followed the Vasa Ride, it only snowed once, 3/1/2010 on the 3rd annual ride. I think there were fewer than 20 riders for the full Vasa that year. It's exciting to see the possibility of five inches for the final Vasa. If you'd rather ride in sunshine, come to Frankfurt where it will be in the mid-60s.
    It snowed on the way to and during the beginning of last year's Vasa Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fast 15 miles

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    It snowed on the way to and during the beginning of last year's Vasa Ride.
    I am marshalling the 15 miler and I plan on riding it fast and then hitting beer garden. If there is snow on the ground I might chicken out of even riding. I trust my riding but I do not trust cars.