Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: WABA's Last Vasa Ride March 2018

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default WABA's Last Vasa Ride March 2018

    Did everyone see this at the end of WABA's email they sent out this morning? I wonder what happened.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DU9jKsVW4AQrehA.jpg large.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	16670

  2. Likes Judd liked this post
  3. #2
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I saw it. I'm chalking it up to deteriorating diplomatic relations. Thanks, Trump.

  4. Likes FFX_Hinterlands, MrTinDC, Emm, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Alexandria to NOMA
    Posts
    864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One too many spilled cups of hot purple goop?

  6. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am secretly hoping that it will be held in late March, after FS ends--last year it was on the Sunday before the end of FS. This year, on Sunday, March 18th, I will be leading a Great Doughnut Ride. I don't want a conflict of interest. How to choose between Blueberry Soup and Doughnuts??? edelweiss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue soup.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	16711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	16712  

  8. Likes Boomer2U, kwarkentien liked this post
  9. #5
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh no, not the soup

  10. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  11. #6
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What is the likelihood of them running out of soup? Or, in the other direction, of continuing to offer soup past the 1:30 designated end time?

    I have signed up, and the full ride is 60 miles (I would already have ridden over 10 miles to the start). I can probably do the 60 miles in the five hours I would have from roll out to end, but given a stop on the way, my own usual speed, etc, I would be cutting it very close. I haven't ridden 70 miles in a day in months, and I don't know what the wind will be like, etc (though I guess I will know the weather conditions on the day of the ride). I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.
    If the possibility of missing the blueberry soup is the only thing holding you back from doing the 60 mile ride, go for the longer ride. I signed up for a volunteer shift at REI, and I'll make sure there's some blueberry soup waiting for you when you get back.
    Last edited by komorebi; 03-26-2018 at 12:27 PM.

  13. Likes CBGanimal, wheels&wings, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE Emm ELITED this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    What is the likelihood of them running out of soup? Or, in the other direction, of continuing to offer soup past the 1:30 designated end time?

    I have signed up, and the full ride is 60 miles (I would already have ridden over 10 miles to the start). I can probably do the 60 miles in the five hours I would have from roll out to end, but given a stop on the way, my own usual speed, etc, I would be cutting it very close. I haven't ridden 70 miles in a day in months, and I don't know what the wind will be like, etc (though I guess I will know the weather conditions on the day of the ride). I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.
    This is one of my pet peeves, not just with the VASA ride, but with many rides that have multiple distances. Often the people who ride the farthest end up with the dregs, if even those. I don't know the solution to this problem, but it always feels a bit unfair, particularly when one has paid a registration fee and ends up being shorted.

  15. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is one of my pet peeves, not just with the VASA ride, but with many rides that have multiple distances. Often the people who ride the farthest end up with the dregs, if even those. I don't know the solution to this problem, but it always feels a bit unfair, particularly when one has paid a registration fee and ends up being shorted.
    You should contact Matt Hawkins and Gordon Wadsworth (the race directors for Croatan Buck Fifty). They had amazing food available ALL day for every single person that finished (three distances, 50, 100, and 150). They even made sure to have FRESH food for the late finishers. No one got crappy cold left overs. It was awesome.

  17. Likes streetsmarts, Judd liked this post
  18. #10
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've done a few rides where the organizers did a fairly decent job of staggering the start times so that folks ended up finishing at similar times. I believe Six Pillars does this and Cap2Cap does as well. The biggest bummer for me is that the people doing shorter distances are long gone by the time the longer distances finish. Missed opportunity to provide a party atmosphere and foster connections between short and long distance riders.

  19. Likes Kitty, streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •