Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WABA's Last Vasa Ride March 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default WABA's Last Vasa Ride March 2018

Did everyone see this at the end of WABA's email they sent out this morning? I wonder what happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DU9jKsVW4AQrehA.jpg large.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	16670

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw it. I'm chalking it up to deteriorating diplomatic relations. Thanks, Trump.

4. Likes FFX_Hinterlands, MrTinDC, Emm, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One too many spilled cups of hot purple goop?

6. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am secretly hoping that it will be held in late March, after FS ends--last year it was on the Sunday before the end of FS. This year, on Sunday, March 18th, I will be leading a Great Doughnut Ride. I don't want a conflict of interest. How to choose between Blueberry Soup and Doughnuts??? edelweiss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue soup.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	16711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	16712  

8. Likes Boomer2U, kwarkentien liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, not the soup

10. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the likelihood of them running out of soup? Or, in the other direction, of continuing to offer soup past the 1:30 designated end time?

I have signed up, and the full ride is 60 miles (I would already have ridden over 10 miles to the start). I can probably do the 60 miles in the five hours I would have from roll out to end, but given a stop on the way, my own usual speed, etc, I would be cutting it very close. I haven't ridden 70 miles in a day in months, and I don't know what the wind will be like, etc (though I guess I will know the weather conditions on the day of the ride). I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.
    If the possibility of missing the blueberry soup is the only thing holding you back from doing the 60 mile ride, go for the longer ride. I signed up for a volunteer shift at REI, and I'll make sure there's some blueberry soup waiting for you when you get back.
    Last edited by komorebi; 03-26-2018 at 12:27 PM.

13. Likes CBGanimal, wheels&wings, LhasaCM liked this post
    ELITE Emm ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    What is the likelihood of them running out of soup? Or, in the other direction, of continuing to offer soup past the 1:30 designated end time?

I have signed up, and the full ride is 60 miles (I would already have ridden over 10 miles to the start). I can probably do the 60 miles in the five hours I would have from roll out to end, but given a stop on the way, my own usual speed, etc, I would be cutting it very close. I haven't ridden 70 miles in a day in months, and I don't know what the wind will be like, etc (though I guess I will know the weather conditions on the day of the ride). I am thinking of just doing the 30 mile ride instead, and that is what I signed up for, though I know I can change to the longer ride. I really don't want to miss the soup, as this is the last time they will be doing the ride.
    This is one of my pet peeves, not just with the VASA ride, but with many rides that have multiple distances. Often the people who ride the farthest end up with the dregs, if even those. I don't know the solution to this problem, but it always feels a bit unfair, particularly when one has paid a registration fee and ends up being shorted.

15. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is one of my pet peeves, not just with the VASA ride, but with many rides that have multiple distances. Often the people who ride the farthest end up with the dregs, if even those. I don't know the solution to this problem, but it always feels a bit unfair, particularly when one has paid a registration fee and ends up being shorted.
    You should contact Matt Hawkins and Gordon Wadsworth (the race directors for Croatan Buck Fifty). They had amazing food available ALL day for every single person that finished (three distances, 50, 100, and 150). They even made sure to have FRESH food for the late finishers. No one got crappy cold left overs. It was awesome.

17. Likes streetsmarts, Judd liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done a few rides where the organizers did a fairly decent job of staggering the start times so that folks ended up finishing at similar times. I believe Six Pillars does this and Cap2Cap does as well. The biggest bummer for me is that the people doing shorter distances are long gone by the time the longer distances finish. Missed opportunity to provide a party atmosphere and foster connections between short and long distance riders.

19. Likes Kitty, streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post