Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 41st Street

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Never go down 41st, never go up Glebe. Die happy.
    I thought climbing hills made you live forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the advice! Sounds like I need to make a trip up there this weekend and try to make it happen (but once I've proven to myself that I can go down it, probably stick to glebe on the way down in the future). I'll be sure to report back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I thought climbing hills made you live forever.
    No, it just feels like forever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, great hill. I've ridden up Glebe numerous times, but 41st is far, far more pleasant. The switchbacks are demanding when it's wet / leafy / mossy. I've had rear wheels slip there, though so far haven't had to dismount (knocking on wood). What huskerdont said about keep the weight back. -- if you have gearing that lets you stay seated, that's great, though I have to stand -- I just keep the weight back when I do.

It's a fun hill to punctuate a ride back into Arlington from DC/MD, but doing laps on 41st doesn't sound fun at all!
    I agree with hozn, up to a point. I ride this hill in both directions several times each week. 41st is unquestionably more pleasant than Glebe, which I would not ride up or down ever, but I am not ready to call the uphill ride on 41st "pleasant" in and of itself. But maybe I just need to get more zen about it, or get a better granny gear. Having experienced too much craziness from drivers on the nearby streets of North Arlington and McLean, I just would not take the risk on the Glebe hill. YMMV.

In all the years of riding this, there have been a handful of times that I have dismounted to walk down the switchback, including a time or two with ice when I have gripped the railings for dear life. I have also lost traction a few times on the uphill on wet leaves. I definitely have to stand to make it up the initial section underneath the parkway bridge and on the switchback, except on my mountain bike.

Also, if you ride down, be very careful at the Glebe/Chain Bridge intersection. Cars will notoriously take a right on red coming down Chain Bridge Road to head up Glebe without paying attention to bikers in the crosswalk. And others often shoot the left turn from Glebe to Chain Bridge without regard to the red arrow or those in the crosswalk. Try to make eye contact if you can - but a defensive approach is best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huberww View Post
    I agree with hozn, up to a point. I ride this hill in both directions several times each week. 41st is unquestionably more pleasant than Glebe, which I would not ride up or down ever, but I am not ready to call the uphill ride on 41st "pleasant" in and of itself. But maybe I just need to get more zen about it, or get a better granny gear. Having experienced too much craziness from drivers on the nearby streets of North Arlington and McLean, I just would not take the risk on the Glebe hill. YMMV.

In all the years of riding this, there have been a handful of times that I have dismounted to walk down the switchback, including a time or two with ice when I have gripped the railings for dear life. I have also lost traction a few times on the uphill on wet leaves. I definitely have to stand to make it up the initial section underneath the parkway bridge and on the switchback, except on my mountain bike.

Also, if you ride down, be very careful at the Glebe/Chain Bridge intersection. Cars will notoriously take a right on red coming down Chain Bridge Road to head up Glebe without paying attention to bikers in the crosswalk. And others often shoot the left turn from Glebe to Chain Bridge without regard to the red arrow or those in the crosswalk. Try to make eye contact if you can - but a defensive approach is best.
    I almost always take 41st both ways. I'll take Glebe down if I'm with a group or if I'm intending to go south on Canal Rd. to Arizona. If I'm planning to cross the bridge on the sidepath, then I take 41st down.
    Taking Glebe up is a really, really bad idea, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you get to annihilate the speed limit on a bike? Glebe down is one such place. Since you can take that first curve as fast as a car, you can take the lane without feeling like anyone will ride up your back. But you do have to take the lane. Back in the 90s before I knew to do this, I was hugging the right and a woman in a sedan passed me then veered over, almost putting me into the guardrail.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reporting back to say that I did successfully ride up 41st street this morning. Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement!

Steve O gave me a good piece of advice last week that helped a lot and that I haven't seen written online anywhere, so I'm writing it here in case it helps anyone else: right before the super steep part, there's a flat little driveway/cul de sac off to the left. It helps a lot to turn in there and use it to get a running start up to the switchbacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmj7gh View Post
    Just reporting back to say that I did successfully ride up 41st street this morning. Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement!

Steve O gave me a good piece of advice last week that helped a lot and that I haven't seen written online anywhere, so I'm writing it here in case it helps anyone else: right before the super steep part, there's a flat little driveway/cul de sac off to the left. It helps a lot to turn in there and use it to get a running start up to the switchbacks.
    Excellent.

Yeah, the driveway is essential every time I go up with the fixie.

Post Thanks / Like

Stumbled on this old thread that has some more stories about 41st St among other hills.