Likes Likes:  49
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Monday Coffee on the Towpath

  1. #11
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Hey Cmj are you the Chris I met at Clare & Don's on Thursday? Don't want you to think some stranger is tryna follow you on strava.... Cool thing you're trying here....
    Nadine is a total stalker.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Coffee out by the river is right up my alley. But that is pretty far off my beaten path.

    I will attempt to meet you all there with a couple big thermos' of my home roasted coffee on one of my alternative work schedule days off.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ballston
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just an update that I do plan to keep this up. In an effort to stop spamming this forum, I figured out how to make a recurring Facebook event, so I'll post future updates there: https://www.facebook.com/events/2044054158943741/

    Also this coming Monday should feature improvements in all three dimensions that I highlighted before:
    • Find a more efficient way to boil water, or bring hot water in a thermos with me. preferably both.
      Check! I've invested in a Jetboil stove which claims that it can boil water in 100 seconds, which is approximately 1/10th of the time that my DIY alcohol stove took last week...
    • Make it at least 10 degrees warmer, or turn the wind off. preferably both.
      Check! Looks like it'll be around 40 degrees on Monday morning. If the rain holds off, it might actually be pleasant!
    • Make the ground less slippery, or make me a better bike rider. preferably both.
      Maybe! It shouldn't be icy, but it'll probably take more than a week for me to git gud.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmj7gh View Post
    Just an update that I do plan to keep this up. In an effort to stop spamming this forum, I figured out how to make a recurring Facebook event, so I'll post future updates there: https://www.facebook.com/events/2044054158943741/
    It's also on the Freezing Saddles calendar.
    Not sure if you are planning to do it on President's Day, though, since many of us will be getting pancakes prior to the President's Day ride.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmj7gh View Post
    Just an update that I do plan to keep this up. In an effort to stop spamming this forum, I figured out how to make a recurring Facebook event, so I'll post future updates there: https://www.facebook.com/events/2044054158943741/

    Also this coming Monday should feature improvements in all three dimensions that I highlighted before:
    • Find a more efficient way to boil water, or bring hot water in a thermos with me. preferably both.
      Check! I've invested in a Jetboil stove which claims that it can boil water in 100 seconds, which is approximately 1/10th of the time that my DIY alcohol stove took last week...
    • Make it at least 10 degrees warmer, or turn the wind off. preferably both.
      Check! Looks like it'll be around 40 degrees on Monday morning. If the rain holds off, it might actually be pleasant!
    • Make the ground less slippery, or make me a better bike rider. preferably both.
      Maybe! It shouldn't be icy, but it'll probably take more than a week for me to git gud.
    Keep "spamming"... I think this is excellent content.

    I've heard great things about the JetBoil system for boiling water, they are very popular. I've also heard its not the best for regular cooking since its kind of hard to regulate the temperature.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Springfield VA
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I've heard great things about the JetBoil system for boiling water, they are very popular. I've also heard its not the best for regular cooking since its kind of hard to regulate the temperature.
    JetBoils work great. I've used mine camping (bike, backpacking, and car), and on picnics. I've used mine when out in the field for work. I used it at work another time when we lost electricity. I will not be without coffee.

    Compared to my old (old) MSR Whisperlite, the JetBoil was a big improvement.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ballston
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Happy almost-the-long-weekend Friday!

    I know a lot of y'all are going to be eating pancakes at this time, but in case anyone is interested I'm planning to do a special later-than-normal President's Day edition of coffee outside this coming Monday from 9-10am. The freezing saddles calendar and all the various social media postings are up to date!

    Family obligations will probably keep me from spending the rest of the day on the history ride with y'all, but hopefully this is still early enough that you'll be able to stop by on your way if you're going!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I don't wake up early enough for pancakes, i'll come see you! Thanks !

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    JetBoils work great. I've used mine camping (bike, backpacking, and car), and on picnics. I've used mine when out in the field for work. I used it at work another time when we lost electricity. I will not be without coffee.

    Compared to my old (old) MSR Whisperlite, the JetBoil was a big improvement.
    Agreed, that Whisperlite is kinda laughable now with all the parts you had to carry (and sometimes broke). Jetboils are so simple, work great and are really easy to use. However, mine fit weirdly in my bikepacking bag because of it's tall cylindrical profile, so I got one of these micro stoves from Amazon. They're insanely compact, but a little slower to boil than a Jetboil. With a different (ti) pot, it fits better in my pack and happens to be lighter to boot!



    I almost made it to this coffee club last Monday (bike all packed up and everything), but an early morning work emergency nixed that.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Springfield VA
    Posts
    158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Agreed, that Whisperlite is kinda laughable now with all the parts you had to carry (and sometimes broke). Jetboils are so simple, work great and are really easy to use. However, mine fit weirdly in my bikepacking bag because of it's tall cylindrical profile, so I got one of these micro stoves from Amazon. They're insanely compact, but a little slower to boil than a Jetboil. With a different (ti) pot, it fits better in my pack and happens to be lighter to boot!
    Yeah, I have one of those micro stoves too. I understand what you're saying about the packability of the JetBoil, but I find that I still reach for my JetBoil. I like having everything in one grab-and-go unit.

    Coffee along the C&O last October.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	16947

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •