Likes Likes:  207
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: President's Day History Ride - Monday, February 19th

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default President's Day History Ride - Monday, February 19th

I'm hosting a President's Day Ride again this year. In recognition of the bicentennial of the Great State of Illinois, this year's ride will visit sites associated with the four Presidents who have called Illinois home: Lincoln, Grant, Reagan and Obama. I'm planning just 6 stops this year. At each stop I'll share some history of the site or individual. I've tried to pick sites that for the most part you probably haven't visited. (I've only been to two myself). I'll once again try to tie historical events to the present.

The official ride will meet at the Lincoln Memorial at 10:30. I plan to get rolling by 10:45. The ride will end at the Lincoln Cottage, which has a museum and also does tours of the cottage (tours are $15). I'm planning on visiting the museum. Scheduling a tour of the cottage with an unknown number of folks arriving at an unknown time will be too unwieldy, so I opted not to include it as part of the ride. If the weather is nice (it was awesome last year) I may do a half DC loop back to Virginia.

I'm planning on starting the morning by having pancakes at Lazy Mike's in Falls Church at 8 a.m. There was a great crowd there last year.

Hope to see you one the ride.

Full Details:
    Pre-Ride Pancake Option: Optional meet up at Lazy Mike's in Falls Church for pancakes
    Ride Meet: 10:30 in front of the Lincoln Memorial steps (look for the tall bearded white guy and the short Asian lady with bikes that look like this: https://i0.wp.com/www.waba.org/wp-co...size=581%2C305)
    Safety Brief: 10:45 I'll give a quick safety brief (intro of the marshal team, hand and voice signals and ride overview)
    Roll out: Lincoln Memorial is the first stop. We'll roll out afterwards.
    Bathroom Break: There will be a bathroom/snack break after the third stop at Glen's Garden Market
    Route: Approximately 9 miles all on DC streets, with heavy use of low traffic streets, bike lanes and cycletracks
    Stops: There will be 6 stops on the tour, all related to President's who have lived in Illinois
    End Point: Lincoln Cottage - There's a visitor's center with exhibits to view. They also have a bike rack, though we will likely exceed it's capacity and need to lock bikes to each other. There's a tour of the cottage as well that costs $15. I'm not expecting to do the tour since space is limited and our arrival time is uncertain.
    Bring: Bike lock, money and any snacks you need
    Optional late lunch: For anyone that wants to grab lunch afterwards, we'll pick a place after the Lincoln Cottage

Watch Bobco's video of last year's ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mLL8wkM6Ew
    Last edited by Judd; 02-17-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added ride details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm hosting a President's Day Ride again this year. In recognition of the bicentennial of the Great State of Illinois, this year's ride will visit sites associated with the four Presidents who have called Illinois home: Lincoln, Grant, Reagan and Obama. I'm planning just 6 stops this year. At each stop I'll share some history of the site or individual. I've tried to pick sites that for the most part you probably haven't visited. (I've only been to two myself). I'll once again try to tie historical events to the present.

The official ride will meet at the Lincoln Memorial at 10:30. I plan to get rolling by 10:45. The ride will end at the Lincoln Cottage, which has a museum and also does tours of the cottage (tours are $15). I'm planning on visiting the museum. Scheduling a tour of the cottage with an unknown number of folks arriving at an unknown time will be too unwieldy, so I opted not to include it as part of the ride. If the weather is nice (it was awesome last year) I may do a half DC loop back to Virginia.

I'm planning on starting the morning by having pancakes at Lazy Mike's in Falls Church at 8 a.m. There was a great crowd there last year.

Omg- last yearís was amazing. Iím RSVPing for this NOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

This was my only FS ride of last year, and it was lots of fun. If the weather cooperates, I will be there again. But most likely at the Lincoln Memorial this time. I can't (won't) make it to Falls Church by 8 am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Omg- last yearís was amazing. Iím RSVPing for this NOW!!!
    Me too. It was a fabulous ride last year . So glad you're doing this Judd. Arrange for sunny and in the 40s will ya?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Extra points for a Mount Rushmore throw-in mention??? Viva la South Dakota!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, that's the morning I was going to invite Judd for a beer at Westover, but now he's got a conflict.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the video I made of last year's President's Day Ride. It was a lot of fun, and I'm disappointed I won't be there to join y'all.

P.S. - Someone else will need to make a video of this year's ride. I look forward to seeing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Dang, that's the morning I was going to invite Judd for a beer at Westover, but now he's got a conflict.
    Throw that beer in a sippy cup and bring it along.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh YAY! I was really hoping this would happen again. It is a great way to recover from Monster Cross!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Extra points for a Mount Rushmore throw-in mention??? Viva la South Dakota!!!

Fun fact. Although Mt. Rushmore is in South Dakota, no presidents have ever lived there.