Likes Likes:  207
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: President's Day History Ride - Monday, February 19th

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You've thrown out enough New York facts that a New Yorker history ride would probably be easier. Team of Rivals is a great book and I meant to mention it at the Obama stop. Obama very deliberately attempted to cast his Presidency in the mold of Lincoln and Doris Kearns Goodwin served as an advisor to Obama. (She is also the funniest historian I've ever seen interviewed.) His appointment of Hillary Clinton (kind of a New Yorker) as Secretary of State was similar to Lincoln's appointment of Seward (a real New Yorker) to the same position despite being rivals for the party's nomination.

Actually a native Illinoisan of course, adding to the NY-Illinois connection.

Post Thanks / Like

On top of the great job Judd did in organizing this and all of the marshals did in keeping things together, I also wanted to say my own "thanks" to everyone for their patience in giving the trailercycle a wide enough berth to stay in line, the warm welcome when we stumbled across the group near Grant Circle, and most of all, a special thanks to Boomer (at least I think it was him - I'm terrible with names/faces the first few times I meet folks) for the Lindi retrieval early on during the ride.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonus footage from the National Portrait Gallery. The new Obama portrait is worth a visit.