Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The downside of Strava

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I just discovered the little checkbox that is on by default that allows for "anonymous" sharing for heatmap purposes. That box is now unchecked...
    Good to know that exists! I haven't seen it before, and I reviewed the privacy settings pretty thoroughly. Likely not thoroughly enough though.

I'll likely leave it checked since I don't actually care enough, and I'm hopefully moving to a busier area soonish. But it's something they might want to make more obvious to people. I still wish they'd have a "exclude private rides/rides within your privacy zone" option. The all-or-nothing approach isn't ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    From the article: "the Pentagon has encouraged the use of Fitbits among military personnel and in 2013 distributed 2,500 of them as part of a pilot program to battle obesity."

Brilliant, especially since IIUC Fitbit can only work by sending data to Fitbit servers. (While not easy, at least it appears possible to use Garmin fitness trackers and only collect data locally.)
    All Fitbit devices are water resistant; not water proof, unlike Garmin which is usually water proof, so this is another reason to go with Garmin.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Good to know that exists! I haven't seen it before, and I reviewed the privacy settings pretty thoroughly. Likely not thoroughly enough though.
    I have a suspicion that lots of the options on that privacy page have not existed for very long. I also had never seen that one before. (I also don't remember the Flyby privacy option, though maybe that is just me being forgetful.) I suspect Strava has known about these issues a little longer than the media attention and has been trying to get ahead of this.

4. Likes Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like things just got worse:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/strav...-gchq-military

"By uploading an altered GPS file, it's possible to de-anonymise the company's data and show exactly who was exercising inside the walls of some of the world's most top-secret facilities. Once someone makes a data request for a specific geographic location – a nuclear weapons facility, for example – it's possible to view the names, running speeds, running routes and heart rates of anyone who shared their fitness data within that area."

Post Thanks / Like

To me, this is less Strava's problem and more so - you should not be broadcasting your location if you're in a secret location......

7. Likes Edelweiss, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    To me, this is less Strava's problem and more so - you should not be broadcasting your location if you're in a secret location......
    Agreed. I do think Strava (and others) need to be more mindful of privacy and default to sharing nothing/as little as possible; make users opt into sharing details rather than having to opt out. But the primary onus should be on the user; in some of these cases, users reportedly were creating segments/leaderboards at what would theoretically be a secret location. That seems problematic.

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing out a silver lining here: despite ceding a little OPSEC and physical security if you nab a KOM/QOM at one of those sites odds are you'll keep the crown for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Strava privacy settings make it easy to figure out where you live.
    Read on

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/financ...mpression=true

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Strava privacy settings make it easy to figure out where you live.
    Read on

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/financ...mpression=true

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Where you live, or any other location for which you have a privacy zone set up for - assuming you approach it from a few different directions. Yay, math! (I think there are easier ways to figure out where I live rather than trying to overlay what Strava displays for my rides and drawing circles of varying sizes...)

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we have been through this in another thread. The easy answer is just not to make your house the center of the privacy circle.

I wanted to make stravangulate poc project concept a few years ago. I haven't followed link above, but by now I am sure many people have beat me to it.

13. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  14. 02-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Reason
    Oops. Someone already said that...