Likes Likes:  63
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bobco85's broom karma

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Soma steel-core levers. So, far, I've only broken one.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick follow-up to the long saga that is the love between broken glass and my tires: I. actually. got. a. flat. on. the. Schwalbe. Marathon. Plus. Tire.

So, I took some pics of it before and after removing the piece of glass, and in honor of Judd's amazing ride (that I sadly was unable to attend; don't worry, I'll make him do a re-run when I return), I added some metal of a certain Illinoisian for a sense of scale.

Macro mode: engage!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassTire - 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	17088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassTire - 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	17089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassTire - 3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	17090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassTire - 4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	17091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassTire - 5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	17092

Luckily, when I got my flat, the tire itself was thick enough that I was able to nurse the flat home for about 9 miles, stopping to reinflate the tube (which lost its air in a matter of minutes), without any squirreliness in the tire itself as its tube ran out of air.

I replaced the tube (standard) with a stronger one (puncture resistant), so we'll see how far I can get with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Happy Conclusion to the Procession of Flats

Good news on the getting-flats-constantly-in-Seattle front: since February, I have not gotten a flat on either tire! I have biked almost exactly 1,000 miles since my last flat.

Seriously, the key seems to have been the switch to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire (rear), Gatorskin tire (front), and Forte puncture-resistant tubes.

I still have moments where I get paranoid about feeling like my rear tire is getting a little squirrelly or when riding on stupidly textured surfaces (like brick which causes your tire to want to go in parallel ruts) because the tire and tube are both thicker than average tires/tubes. However, I have been vigilant about maintaining tire pressure by refilling the tubes every few days out of pragmatism. I could seriously only need to do it once every week or so because the thicker tubes lose air less quickly, but I make sure to check.

I imagine it's good karma because I have cleared trails of broken glass, thorny raspberry vines, and other debris more than a couple of times now using the pruning shears and hand broom that I keep in my pannier.

4. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the absence of glass on the Mount Vernon Trail?

Before bobco85 left this Washington area for that Washington area he gave me a couple brooms. I didn't realize they had the power to prevent broken glass from even appearing on the path. Maybe this good karma will extend to his new riding habitat if we all think about what an altruistic human being he is and put an end to his rash of flats.
    Update from NPS from an MVT stakeholder meeting: The Park Police arrested the guy breaking glass on the trail a while ago. He was an indigent man with some mental health issues. The arrest seems to led to him stopping.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Update from NPS from an MVT stakeholder meeting: The Park Police arrested the guy breaking glass on the trail a while ago. He was an indigent man with some mental health issues. The arrest seems to led to him stopping.
    1. I hope he gets the help he needs
    2. I hope we see no more glass on the MVT
    3. I mean if I want to see broken glass on my commute, there is usually a fair amount in the Eye Street bike lanes. But that appears to be the result of just selfish approaches to bottle disposal rather than a problem with mental illness.

7. Likes Judd, bobco85, Starduster, kwarkentien liked this post