Likes Likes:  63
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bobco85's broom karma

Post Thanks / Like

Default bobco85's broom karma

Has anyone else noticed the absence of glass on the Mount Vernon Trail?

Before bobco85 left this Washington area for that Washington area he gave me a couple brooms. I didn't realize they had the power to prevent broken glass from even appearing on the path. Maybe this good karma will extend to his new riding habitat if we all think about what an altruistic human being he is and put an end to his rash of flats.

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the absence of glass on the Mount Vernon Trail?

Before bobco85 left this Washington area for that Washington area he gave me a couple brooms. I didn't realize they had the power to prevent broken glass from even appearing on the path. Maybe this good karma will extend to his new riding habitat if we all think about what an altruistic human being he is and put an end to his rash of flats.
    Bobco leaves and there's suddenly less glass on the MVT but all kinds of glass flatting him out in Seattle... Coincidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, guess what I got on my ride tonight? ANOTHER FLAT, YAY!!!

This one was on my front tire, and luckily I was about 200 feet from the spot at Alki Point I was going to hang out for a bit in order to get some photos of the Seattle skyline across Elliott Bay with my new camera. This one had the pssssSSSSSSsssssssSSSSSS (getting louder/softer as the wheel turned) sound. And I was riding on a trail, too (Alki Trail)! Cause of flat: metal staple, went right into and through the tire.

I believe this puts my flat count at 14 (3 front, 11 rear) since moving here in September 2017.

My bike commute takes me through the southern parts of Seattle including industrial areas with all kinds of goodies on the ground sometimes (glass, metal shavings, hypodermic needles, small rocks). A majority of my flats have come from riding in these areas, and even the mighty Continental Gatorskin tires that I eventually switched to after flat #8 have had their share of flats. I even had some awful ones that look like someone just slashed at the tires, and I had to change my commute route to compensate (it's on some less comfortable roads, but I've gotten used to it along with finding more efficient solutions).

At the very least, I have gotten much more efficient at fixing a flat tire. If I get desperate, I will switch to chain mail tires (if they don't exist yet, I'll invent them)!

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the commuter and havenít had a flat since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the commuter and haven’t had a flat since.
    Knock on wood, throw salt over shoulder etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like someone is a candidate for a tubeless tire setup on his commuter bike!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Knock on wood, throw salt over shoulder etc..
    I have probably cursed myself. I also commuted on a CaBi today though because I wasn't sure if the building I shower in would be open. So all flats are currently someone else's problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the commuter and havenít had a flat since.

I used to use these too, never had a flat with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on the commuter and haven’t had a flat since.

I'm amazed at some of the stuff I've run over on my Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires and haven't flatted.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one flat last year. One. On the bike without Schwalbe Marathons or Marathon Pluses. That's in nearly 10,000 miles.

There is a down side: I am now really bad at changing a flat.