Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Army Navy Drive Protected Bike Lane

Post Thanks / Like

Did you miss the meeting? FEAR NOT.

Weigh in with this County Online Survey on the project. In addition to answering the guided questions, I encourage you to make ample use of the free-form comments box at the end to hammer home some of the points raised below, or earlier in the thread, or whatever else speaks to you.
    - As Arlington's first 2-way PBL of any significant size, residents will judge all future PBLs on this one. It should not be overly narrow. Please expand to 12' wherever possible. Automotive turn lanes do not need to be 11' wide.
    - Allowing right turns across a two-way facility is potentially very dangerous. Please do not do this, or at least provide a leading bicycle interval with a dedicated bicycle signal to give cyclists a chance to get out where they are visible to turning cars.
    - Please provide dedicated queuing spaces for cyclists waiting for the appropriate signal to enter or exit the protected bike lane.
    Last edited by chris_s; 02-01-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The deadline to take the online survey and make comments is FRIDAY. Get to it!

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Today (June 25) Open House re: Army Navy Drive

Received this email:
    The next open house for the Army Navy Drive Complete Streets Project is Tuesday June 25. The project will re-build Army Navy Drive within the existing right-of-way as a multimodal complete street featuring enhanced bicycle, transit, environmental and pedestrian facilities.
    Please join us anytime between 4:00-7:00 pm to learn about the project, talk with staff and share feedback on the 30% designs.
    Tuesday, June 25
    4:00 – 7:00 pm
    Aurora Hills Branch Library
    735 S 18th Street
    Arlington, VA 22202
    You can learn more about the project, the public process and view the designs on the project page.

Post Thanks / Like

Action shots of Bike Arlington Forum members looking at the proposed plan with great interest: https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/26/co...ycle-corridor/ As the article's writer felt the need to immediately opine, the plan "might make traffic a little more congested". Fortunately, this is Arlington and not the dystopia of Alexandria, so my hopes are still high.

5. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Action shots of Bike Arlington Forum members looking at the proposed plan with great interest: https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/26/co...ycle-corridor/ As the article's writer felt the need to immediately opine, the plan "might make traffic a little more congested". Fortunately, this is Arlington and not the dystopia of Alexandria, so my hopes are still high.
    I've certainly never said Seminary Hill/Seminary Ridge (assuming that is what you are referring to?) is NOT a suburban dystopia.

That said, don't call this one a wrap just yet.

Edit- back when we were discussing "issues" in Westover, I said this about Alexandria

(much of Alexandria is not pedestrian friendly, but at least that's recognized as a problem by City staff, by our more enlightened electeds, and by a growing part of our electorate)

Based on recent events, I can confirm that a growing part of the electorate sees a problem - the turn out for change has been heartening. Staff - well I think they do see the problem even if their solution was weak sauce. As for the elected, we will see what we will see.

And let me add - that Arlington is doing what it's doing on Army Navy suggests good things are happening there (ditto the adoption of the bike master plan). Arlington as a jurisdiction may be doing better than it looked like to me in March.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 06-26-2019 at 03:43 PM.

7. Likes buschwacker, dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Action shots of Bike Arlington Forum members looking at the proposed plan with great interest: https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/26/co...ycle-corridor/
    The two forum members I recognize don't seem to be taking any action at all.

9. Likes dbb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The two forum members I recognize don't seem to be taking any action at all.
    While there isn't a great deal of movement that would be visible in a photo; thinking, reflection, studying, cogitating, considering, contemplating, meditating, pondering, ruminating, consideration, musing, opining, and kvetching are all actions

11. Likes Sunyata, sjclaeys, Judd, dasgeh, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    While there isn't a great deal of movement that would be visible in a photo; thinking, reflection, studying, cogitating, considering, contemplating, meditating, pondering, ruminating, consideration, musing, opining, and kvetching are all actions
    Exactly, seeing the picture I could feel the mental activity going on.

13. Likes Judd, Steve O, dbb, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, seeing the picture I could feel the mental activity going on.
    My point exactly.