Likes Likes:  220
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
ELITE ELITE:  13
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Elevation per mile pointless prize

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Bob! The top 3 are all insane really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    Yup! These folks are way out of my league!! I like a bit of balance.

Maybe they should go ride with that Lowlander dude near LA that is usually #1 on the US climbing challenge each month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob_dc View Post
    Hope (or maybe don't hope!) that got sorted out.
    I did! Still not sure what that was about (the Strava stats box was giving me 574 miles on the year with 67K feet of climbing, but when I refreshed it dropped back down). Like I said, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_dc View Post
    I actually thought you'd win
    So did I! I would like to say I had the advantage given that my lower overall mileage made it easier to change my avg ft/mi calculation by throwing in hill repeats (and kudos to Brad for the Quebec tip). But I started that a bit too late and didn't factor in your ability to ride mega-hill for multi-hour stints. I might have stayed out a bit later last night, and ignored my wife's 10pm text of "U R being dumb. Come Home", had I known how close we were!

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    So...that means Brad and I get beer too right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by run/bike View Post
    .. and ignored my wife's 10pm text of "U R being dumb. Come Home", had I known how close we were!
    That is funny because my mega climb hill, being right behind my house, meant I would ride about 10 - 15 hills and come back in the house. My wife joked "I bet he has a significant other telling him he's crazy". Please pass my appreciation on to your wife for me!

No, I learned last year, ride up to midnight! Team 4 last year got sandbagged by the team that passed us doing just that! I think we were in 3rd all season until that last hour.

So...that means Brad and I get beer too right?
    So, you guys deserve the beer absolutely! I'd been giving you guys your share if I had a chance. I unfortunately can't make April 9th, I'll be in San Diego for a conference. I'm mainly bummed about that because I would have liked to have met everyone in person, including many teammates I haven't met yet.

Either way, hope to meet everyone in the future, perhaps on a group ride sometime.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Well done on the well rounded beer selection QuikAF77!

They are in the fridge now being chilled. Also thanks to Toubob Warrior for holding them for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beer.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	17833

Post Thanks / Like

All you climbers should do Flèche Buffoon next year.

http://http://www.flechebuffoon.com

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/featu...leche-buffoon/

I did it last weekend. Essentially a half-version of Liege-Bastogne-Liege. 75 miles. 6,000 feet of elevation gain. 14 Belgian Ardennes-like climbs. That means each climb is preceded by either a sharp left or right turn (or a 180) that kills all your run-in speed and goes up almost immediately. The shortest climb is ~1km and the longest over 2km. And they're all steep. Even if the average gradient (on Strava) is single digit, a significant portion of the climb is double-digit (usually in the mid-teens). The steepest climb is Uhlerstown which is about a kilometer and average gradient 11 percent. But that's deceiving. The steepest part (it's own segment on Strava) averages 23 percent. And there are some moments when the grade reaches ... wait for it ... 40-50 percent! My lowest gear is 36x28 and I barely made it up Uhlerstown. Next year (yes, I'm doing it again next year!), I'm putting on a 34x30 lowest gear.

My Strava for the ride if you're interested:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1537570582

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fleche_bridge.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	17862