Thread: Temporary Met Branch Trail "complications" at M Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Temporary Met Branch Trail "complications" at M Street

FYI - work has finally stared on the M and L Street underpass art installations next to the MBT. Coupled with the ongoing construction on M Street next to the NoMA metro station, during the installation travelling between the MBT and points east (e.g., REI, Union Market, Ivy City etc.) will be slightly more harrowing than usual. As of yesterday, the south side of the sidewalk on M Street is completely closed off. Pedestrians are being funneled to the north side. Not too big of a deal for eastbound cycling traffic (just merge into traffic and take the lane), but there will be added pedestrian congestion at the bottom of the ramp. However, it is even more of an issue westbound as that side of the road on M Street has often been closed during the week/occasional weekends with the construction, so you're either having to battle pedestrians on the narrowed sidewalk for a block or go around. The latter may be preferable depending on where you're coming from/where you're going (I find myself using the ramp next to the Elevation on Florida and 2nd NE more and more).

More details about the installation/timeframes for the various closures can be found at http://mailchi.mp/nomabid/installati...pass-art-parks

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick addendum (since I had a bit of time to kill I circled a fair amount before actually picking our daughter up). It looks like a number of the tents that had been occupying part of the sidewalk space on M and L streets (see https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.8efb0b1eafe9 for more of that story) have relocated to the K Street underpass. Those sidewalks are quite a bit narrower, so if you go that way, you'll need to take the lane to avoid a bunny hop down the large curb to avoid running over a tent.

Also, if you detour to L street to get around, please be mindful that the block between 2nd and 3rd is a minor disaster zone; the construction site had a water pipe burst around new year's, which (combined with the construction traffic) has led to a lot of sunken in manhole covers and potholes and the like.

So short version: it's a mess, and be careful out there.