Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to work with a bike shop - will they teach me why my brake adjustment didn't work

OK I'm changing the question to be more broad:
    Where did you learn your wrenching skills?
    Paid class
    Learned as a kid
    YouTube
    Friends
    Bike Coop

Just curious (esp. for those who are not professional wrenches).

Thanks

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

I want to know why Bob’s adjusting his headtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my "skills" from:

I usually try to tackle maintenance jobs at least once so I: 1) know how to do them; 2) know if they're a huge PITA that I'd rather pay someone to do in the future. I also tend to skip tasks that require expensive, specialized tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    • Asking everyone at Bikenetic lots of stupid Qs
    ^this. And lots of trial and error. Lots. I would try something, fail, then take it in and ask the pros to fix what I did wrong. It's a good learning experience. Bringing some refreshing beverages is a good way to thank the pros, too.

Quote Originally Posted by reji View Post
    Bringing some refreshing beverages is a good way to thank the pros, too.
    Reminds me I only recently discovered Dominion Wine & Beer has a bar and sells 32oz can “crowlers.”

I think Laura Murray is running a Park Tool School series of classes starting this Sunday evening. (Laura is Laurie's head mechanic/service mgr). I will look for a link. It costs, though.

Here's class for anyone inclined -- I think there is a space or two available. Plus I agree with the hang around the shop method if you can't afford a class -- but be sure to bring snacks or beverages occasionally, and be sure to step out of the repair area if it's busy (or, like, Summer).

Park Tool SchoolJan 21, 6:00pm - Mar 4, 8:00pmProteus Bicycles
    9217 Baltimore Ave
    College Park, MD 20740 MapUp your home maintenance game!

Join us this winter at Proteus Bicycles for Park Tool School-- a bicycle repair and maintenance course designed specifically for the home mechanic. We will provide hands-on instruction for brake and shifting adjustments, wheel repair, bearing adjustments, plus other topics and pro-tips that will keep your bike running smoothly. The 7 week course will meet on Sunday nights from 6PM to 8PM beginning on January 20th. Laura, our service manager, will be teaching the course, so register early (space is limited) and get ready to get your hands dirty! (Don't worry, gloves are provided.)

The cost of the course is $350.00 and includes a copy of the Park Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair and Maintenance, as well as 10% off all tools purchased during the course. Email Laura at laura @ proteusbicycles.com with any questions!

Don't like groups? Email Laura to discuss private lessons
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 01-19-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: found the info

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I want to know why Bob’s adjusting his headtube.
    To make it taller..... duh.

Right. thanks. I'm aware of that class.

definitely am not looking for a $350 class.

More like - $20 - learn to change your brake cables (The Bike House Coop - with whom I volunteered last year - teaches such a class). However, it only holds 10 people, and their classes fill up quickly. The one they posted this week filled up overnight.

I'd like to be part of a group learning/teaching such things. In DC (sorry, no longer in VA, and going out to Arlington is a trek for me).

I think other bike advocacy groups teach classes like this in other states. Found something on a google search, but lost it. Athens GA maybe? Maybe I should talk to WABA about this.

Volunteering with the Bike House, I have learned a lot while watching experienced volunteers help folks work on their own bikes. I've done research in their ark Tool book.

I did take a great 4 week basic maintenance course with The Bike House last year. However, things were discussed very quickly, and I didn't get much hands-on experience.

The Phoenix Bikes class for women on adjusting shifters/derailleurs was great. Again - too far for me to go there regularly in the evening.

I will have to spend more time at Bikenetic (where I bought my bike) and other shops, and see how it goes.

And I plan to volunteer at Bike House this summer, and will pick up skills as I go.

Classes are on hold at the moment, but Gearin' Up Bicycles also has had (similar to Phoenix) a number of workshops for folks to pick up skills - they could be worth checking out.

As far as books go - for learning a lot of basics with lots of pictures, I've really liked the DK "Owner's Manual" book (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The Zinn books (and Park books) are great - but for me were a bit overwhelming when I was first starting to mess around.

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Classes are on hold at the moment, but Gearin' Up Bicycles also has had (similar to Phoenix) a number of workshops for folks to pick up skills - they could be worth checking out.

As far as books go - for learning a lot of basics with lots of pictures, I've really liked the DK "Owner's Manual" book (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The Zinn books (and Park books) are great - but for me were a bit overwhelming when I was first starting to mess around.
    Oh...and if you'd like to borrow the DK book sometime to see if it'd be helpful for you, let me know and I'm sure we can figure something out