Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team "Sleet 16"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    good to meet everyone last night. I live in south Arlington; not far from Shirlington and work near Union Station as one of many government minions. Ideally, I commute everyday, however a somewhat erratic work schedule forces me to metro or drive some days. I prefer to do longer "exploring" rides and I do try to ride a century every month or so; when work & family obligations allow. I'm up for group rides and a goal for this year is to ride more gravel.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I live just off of Mile 4.5 of the W&OD (and shouting distance from teammate sjclaeys). I commute to Rosslyn - by bike as often as possible. I am a fairly new returnee to cycling and was just starting to build up some speed and distance abilities when I unexpectedly had to have some major MacGuyvering done on my heart last year, so now I'm building back up from zero yet again - I'm maybe a C/CC rider right now. I generally make at least one coffee club per week (CCCC, HDCC, WTFCC or Java Shack FCC).

I received a battlefield promotion to captain of this team at last night's happy hour. Anyone else is welcome to take over and certainly, everyone is encouraged to organize team events. Brewery rides, coffee rides, gravel rides, but I will sit out the team centuries ...
    Last edited by accordioneur; 01-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot my introduction. I live in Del Ray and commute to Georgetown. I turned in my parking pass many years ago to save $1200 a year and force myself to ride to work. My days of doing long rides like TOSRV and the C&O Canal towpath are long gone. I will be the guy off the back on any team rides, so please be gentle. This is my third BAFS.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention, this is my first FS. I have done a few sub-20 rides already this year and pan to keep them going whenever I can. My trusty steed is pictured.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! This is my very first Freezing Saddles! I live in Anacostia, less than a mile away from the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. In October, I got to exchange my soul-sucking drive to Fairfax for a GLORIOUS seven mile bike ride to Brookland. I'm working up to longer miles, but so far I can only seem to manage 40 on my own, 90 on a tandem. BTW! I have TWO tandems, if we want to do that kind of a team ride.

My fiancé is on Team 1, and I would very much like to beat him.

Bear hugs,
    Katie ).
    Last edited by codrisc1; 01-12-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by codrisc1 View Post
    Hi all! This is my very first Freezing Saddles! I live in Anacostia, less than a mile away from the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. In October, I got to exchange in my soul-sucking drive to Fairfax for a GLORIOUS seven mile bike ride to Brookland. I'm working up to longer miles, but so far I can only seem to manage 40 on my own, 90 on a tandem. BTW! I have TWO tandems, if we want to do that kind of a team ride.

My fiancé is on Team 1, and I would very much like to beat him.

Bear hugs,
    Katie ).
    Two tandems, that is so cool!

40 miles solo is nothing to sneeze at and riding in the cold is definitely a lot harder. Riding all winter you will be a lot stronger than you realize come spring! For me personally riding with groups is what helped me build up to longer rides. Enjoying the company of others/shared misery took my mind off the miles and allowed me to go further than I thought possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone interested in a group ride Sunday or Monday? I'm open to suggestions for meeting points and destinations, but I'll pitch Best Buns in Shirlington as a meeting point and Caboose Brewery in Vienna as a destination.

They're about 11 miles apart and Shirlington is about 7 miles from the DC side of the 14th street Bridge.

Forecasts for each day:

Sunday, sunny with a high of 30 and 10/15mph winds

Monday, partly cloudy with a high of 34 and 5/10mph winds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Is anyone interested in a group ride Sunday or Monday? I'm open to suggestions for meeting points and destinations, but I'll pitch Best Buns in Shirlington as a meeting point and Caboose Brewery in Vienna as a destination.
    I work Monday, but could probably do Sunday. What time are you thinking? I'll be out riding early and could meet in Shirlington whenever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    I work Monday, but could probably do Sunday. What time are you thinking? I'll be out riding early and could meet in Shirlington whenever.
    Could meet at 10 or 11. It's about an hour or so ride between the two and they don't open until 11 on Sunday so there's no reason to rush, plus it'll give the temperature a chance to warm up a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

11 would be good, give me a chance to finish ride 1 of the day and meet ya there!