Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Number One!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensdc View Post
    Hello folks! This is your captain, Ben!

It was great meeting so many of you at the happy hour! I believe we had eight or nine people show up. Those of you who didn't are dead to me. That's not true, you're only dead to me if you are an awful contributor

But seriously, if you think you're in over your head, and won't be able to contribute a reasonable amount, there's no shame, just let me know, and we'll get the admins to sub you out for someone from the waiting list. Maybe next year will be better timing for you.

With that out of the way, I am pleased to inform you that I have set-up our Strava club, which can be found here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/BAFS2018-Team1

I have temporarily given it the most popular name from the happy hour, which was, "One for the Road." I've thrown some silly temporary images up as placeholders. Anyone can please feel free to suggest replacements.

Please be sure to join the Strava group as soon as you can.

I took note of all the suggested team names, and you can feel free to vote on them here:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b0832cfb1a92ca

If something else wins, I'll change what I can.

Next order of business: please introduce yourselves in this thread! Something about you, where you live and ride, if this is your first year doing freezing saddles, how many miles you logged last year, etc.

Here's my snippet to get things kicked off:

As I mentioned, I'm Ben. I am from Boulder, Colorado originally, and spent many years in Florida after that. I've been in DC for about six years, and I currently live in Columbia Heights. This is my first year doing freezing saddles. Last year I logged a little over 5,000 miles, but I was commuting to a job in Reston that I no longer have, so I don't expect to hit that number again.

I like Colorado sports teams, I catch a lot of live music, and I have a super sweet tooth.

We can use this thread to organize group-rides or social meet-ups as needed. It might make sense to do some of that in the Strava group. I am open to any and all suggestions about any of this.

That does it for me. Let's hit the road!
    Hey! Glad to be aboard. My suggestion: Team They Were No. 1

I'm Ed Felker and I live in SW DC with my wife Mary Gersema.

I'm mostly focused on riding daily. I commute by bike to downtown and throw in Hains Point laps to add some miles. We get out for long rides on the weekends --if anyone wants to come along we'd welcome the company!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone! I'm Murdoch... (LMM, I go by my middle name)

I'm a DC native, been here for all of my 55 years. I live in Palisades near Sibley Hospital.
    Have enjoyed watching DC turn into an awesome biking town and community.

Not sure how many miles I did last year, somewhere around 5k, didn't track that many rides. Training Peaks shows 3160, without commuting, rec rides, etc. Didn't use Strava (I know, sacrilege!)

also a first-year rookie with Freezing Saddles, happy to be on Team 1!

I'm a rule #9 daily commuter and try to ride MTB on Tuesday evenings and most weekends.
    Enjoy mountain biking the most and do a little racing, including the BCBR and SM100 races last year, with CX season after that!

Bikes, well let's just say N+1, with fenders and sometimes studs for the commute.

Unfortunately I missed the email about the happy hour, that spam filter has been fixed and I look forward to meeting you at the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Introducing Laurie E.

Quote Originally Posted by bensdc View Post
    Hello folks! This is your captain, Ben!

It was great meeting so many of you at the happy hour! I believe we had eight or nine people show up. Those of you who didn't are dead to me. That's not true, you're only dead to me if you are an awful contributor

But seriously, if you think you're in over your head, and won't be able to contribute a reasonable amount, there's no shame, just let me know, and we'll get the admins to sub you out for someone from the waiting list. Maybe next year will be better timing for you.

With that out of the way, I am pleased to inform you that I have set-up our Strava club, which can be found here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/BAFS2018-Team1

I have temporarily given it the most popular name from the happy hour, which was, "One for the Road." I've thrown some silly temporary images up as placeholders. Anyone can please feel free to suggest replacements.

Please be sure to join the Strava group as soon as you can.

I took note of all the suggested team names, and you can feel free to vote on them here:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b0832cfb1a92ca

If something else wins, I'll change what I can.

Next order of business: please introduce yourselves in this thread! Something about you, where you live and ride, if this is your first year doing freezing saddles, how many miles you logged last year, etc.

Here's my snippet to get things kicked off:

As I mentioned, I'm Ben. I am from Boulder, Colorado originally, and spent many years in Florida after that. I've been in DC for about six years, and I currently live in Columbia Heights. This is my first year doing freezing saddles. Last year I logged a little over 5,000 miles, but I was commuting to a job in Reston that I no longer have, so I don't expect to hit that number again.

I like Colorado sports teams, I catch a lot of live music, and I have a super sweet tooth.

We can use this thread to organize group-rides or social meet-ups as needed. It might make sense to do some of that in the Strava group. I am open to any and all suggestions about any of this.

That does it for me. Let's hit the road!
    Hi I'm Laurie, a native of DC and now lives in Clinton, MD. I bike for fun and exercise. This is my 2nd year doing freezing saddles. I logged 435 miles for freezing saddles last year with biking everyday and 1500 for the year. I'm a LCI and teach biking with Washington Area Bicycle Association (WABA), I also advocate for better biking. I'm a role model for WABA's Women and Bicycle program that encourage women to bike. I'm on the leadership team of women's biking group, Black Women Bike DC that do monthly rides for women and girls on the 3rd Saturday of the month (giving them encouragement and a safe place to bike). Every June, I participate in the Great Cycle Challenge to help raise money for the Children Cancer Research Fund. For the past two years, I rode over 200 miles in the month of June and raised over $600. for the fund each year. Basically, I just have fun biking and sharing my passion for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, Erik here. I've lived in DC for 12 years, but I grew up in NE Ohio. I actually got a bunch of my Ohioan uncle's old cycling clothes for riding in Cleveland winters, so the cold doesn't bother me too much. As long as it's not freezing rain I'm out there.

Last year I only rode about 3,400 miles, but that was one of a couple lazy years after coming off a few years of ultra races and similar such nonsense. I'm trying to get back into it this year, looking at a couple 24 hour rides and what not. Lately I've been supplementing my 12.5 mile round trip commute with laps at Hains Point. Now that the snow is off the ground, on weekends I'll likely head out Macarthur to Poolesville. I'm not too creative on route selection since I used to ride exclusively with DC Tri Club and that's what they ride, so definitely let me know if there are routes you guys recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI that you guys are leading the Ride Days leaderboard with 10 days left to play.
    Name:  ride days.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  35.3 KB