Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Number One!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Team Number One!

Hello folks! This is your captain, Ben!

It was great meeting so many of you at the happy hour! I believe we had eight or nine people show up. Those of you who didn't are dead to me. That's not true, you're only dead to me if you are an awful contributor

But seriously, if you think you're in over your head, and won't be able to contribute a reasonable amount, there's no shame, just let me know, and we'll get the admins to sub you out for someone from the waiting list. Maybe next year will be better timing for you.

With that out of the way, I am pleased to inform you that I have set-up our Strava club, which can be found here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/BAFS2018-Team1

I have temporarily given it the most popular name from the happy hour, which was, "One for the Road." I've thrown some silly temporary images up as placeholders. Anyone can please feel free to suggest replacements.

Please be sure to join the Strava group as soon as you can.

I took note of all the suggested team names, and you can feel free to vote on them here:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p...b0832cfb1a92ca

If something else wins, I'll change what I can.

Next order of business: please introduce yourselves in this thread! Something about you, where you live and ride, if this is your first year doing freezing saddles, how many miles you logged last year, etc.

Here's my snippet to get things kicked off:

As I mentioned, I'm Ben. I am from Boulder, Colorado originally, and spent many years in Florida after that. I've been in DC for about six years, and I currently live in Columbia Heights. This is my first year doing freezing saddles. Last year I logged a little over 5,000 miles, but I was commuting to a job in Reston that I no longer have, so I don't expect to hit that number again.

I like Colorado sports teams, I catch a lot of live music, and I have a super sweet tooth.

We can use this thread to organize group-rides or social meet-ups as needed. It might make sense to do some of that in the Strava group. I am open to any and all suggestions about any of this.

That does it for me. Let's hit the road!

Post Thanks / Like

So I see all the posts for different teams, but where do I go to find out what team I am on? I wasn't able to make happy hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rachel_c View Post
    So I see all the posts for different teams, but where do I go to find out what team I am on? I wasn't able to make happy hour.
    There will be an upcoming post with team assignments.

Post Thanks / Like

Now - to get this back on topic and introduce myself: I'm Chris. Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but have been in the DC area for the past 16+ years, living in DC proper for almost 5. Currently live up near Catholic, and work near Union Station, so I spend a lot of time going back and forth on the actual trail portion of the MBT. This is my second Freezing Saddles - last year, I came into it hoping to do about 300 miles during the competition and 1500 for the year - I ended up around 800 and 3,600 respectively, though probably won't be able to do quite that much this year. I signed up for Freezing Saddles primarily to have an externally-driven excuse to ride more and more often. I think it's worked, as I've ridden every day for the past year and change.

Most of my mileage comes from the daily commute and/or other errands; I've been trying to the extent possible to ride instead of drive (more as an excuse to ride more). Many of those miles comes with our daughter (whom many of you met last night) on an attached trailercycle, so she really drives my schedule. My current n=1 is a Rose Activa Pro Pinion (a picture and a few details are at http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...153#post165153).

Looking forward to another great winter!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there! I'm Rudi, originally from Salt Lake City, then a decade in New England, and now 15 years here in the District.

I'm a bike commuter on weekdays (approximately 10.5-11 miles per day, round trip), and an alpine ski racing coach on weekends. Thus, my weekend riding/eventing potential is not that great. But I should contribute solid base numbers to the team, any way you look at it.

Last year I managed around 3,700 miles, which is low for me. That said, I coached all winter and had my hip replaced in May, which kept me off the bike for 7.5 weeks. I also started a new job in September which had me working most weekends for a while, though that's settled down a bit... and been replaced by the skiing, so what can you do?

Sorry I missed the opening happy hour last night, but I had a previous engagement. C'est la vie. Hope to see all of you on the road - whee!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Klein711

Hey All.

Klein711 here, otherwise known as Mike. I'm originally a Texan, however, I also have roots in Colorado. I've been in DC for the past 6 years, before that it was Budapest, Hungary.

This is my first freezing saddles and I'm hoping it'll be a successful endeavor.

Last year I logged a little over 6,000 miles - training for some longer rides in Colorado and around the region. My goal is to replicate this again in 2018, but with fewer trainer miles. We'll see how that goes. I ride a Scott CX bike (black) as my daily commuter and a Scott Addict (white) as my sport bike. If you see me around town be sure to say hello. I live in Cleveland Park and work in the Chinatown area.

I also ride with a club, the Port City Portlys. If anyone is interested in joining our Sunday rides let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Andy -- Originally from outside of Boston, been in DC since 2012. This is also my first Freezing Saddles. My one and only bike (aside from occasional dalliances with CaBi and Jump) is a green Space Horse. I'm perversely a bit proud of my current strong showing on the sleaze board, but I'll cut that out. I'm aiming for a Super Randonneur series this year, so I've got to ride more.

Tell me more about this portly cycling club...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Ken, and I'm a Freezing Saddles addict. I've taken part in all of them, getting the Bike Every Day award in two of the competitions. That said, I was on the last place team last year and I'm sure that we'll do better than that this year.

I've been living here in DC for the past 30 years, so I'm almost a native. I would have thought my childhood in Illinois would have toughened me up for the really cold-weather cycling, but when it gets below 25, I just can't keep my hands warm enough. I'm no stranger to sleaze rides on those frigid days.

My normal 20 mile commute takes me from Dupont Circle to Silver Spring via Rock Creek Park on my trusty Jamis Coda Elite. On the weekends, I'll hop on my chrome Jamis Quest. Last year, I logged almost 3300 miles, but that was a little off my normal pace since I was off my bike for about six weeks in the fall.

It was great to meet everyone last night and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you on some of the group rides we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken!

Also, I'm curious about your handle ... airport enthusiast?

Post Thanks / Like

Since I didn't mention my whips:

Most days: a 2008 Pedal Force ZX-3 carbon road bike.

One days most foul: a 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail aluminum hardtail mountain bike.

Awaiting a frame repair: a 2006 Jamis Eclipse steel & carbon road bike.