Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Team 6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome Team 6

Welcome to the Team 6 thread. My name is Lee Goldberg and it turns out that I am your captain. This is the first time I have participated in Freezing Saddles so the good news is I come to this task with no preconceptions, which is another way of saying I don't know what I am doing exactly. But it also means I am totally open to suggestions and this thread is the place to put those suggestions.

It was great meeting many of you tonight at the happy hour. For those of you who were not there, I will offer a bit about me. I am a daily commuter from Silver Spring to the Verizon Center/Gallery Place area. I usually go through Takoma Park and down the MBT and then I home either through town or sometime up the CCT. The former route is about 20 miles, which is perfect for a commute; the latter is 38 miles which is just too long for everyday. On the weekends, I frequently ride with Potomac Pedalers or with the Bike Rack on their Sunday ride -- at least for as long as I can keep up. I have been bike commuting for about a decade and come originally from the San Francisco Bay Area where they have real hills. But I have been in the area 20+ years, so most of that climbing ability has worn off. For most of my time here, I have worked in health policy for liberal advocacy groups. So count me either as the opposition or a fellow traveler. I am an empty-nester but my significant other seems to have balanced that out with a very cute labradoodle puppy so the chaos at home continues.

Some groups it appears are fairly social and that sounds great. So feel free to advertise a ride your going to do if you want company from the group. I am always interested in new routes and new people to talk with and share a coffee or a happy hour. especially on these often gloomy winter days. One nice thing about our area is there are many opportunities for drinks and bakeries and other refreshments/nourishment post-ride.

So what do you need to do? three things:

1. Tell us something about yourself;
    2. Make a suggestion for a team name. We need a name that will put the others to shame. Suggestions please!!
    3. Sign up for our Strava club at https://www.strava.com/clubs/335186

Happy riding

2. Likes bonniealger, srt112, Shepard, closebr, DanaWise liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome all

Hi all,

I'm Spence. I live in Beltsville and work in Alexandria. I ride some part almost every day, but the bulk of the distance I cover using Metro in the colder, darker months.

The lack of daylight is a bigger issue for me than the temperature. The ride between Greenbelt Metro and my house is mostly along Rhode Island Avenue in College Park and out across US-1. There is no path or real shoulder there so it's a little dicey when it's dark and bad weather.

I usually use two bikes on my commute: One between home and Metro and another one out here in Alexandria between Metro and my office. Works pretty well. When the days get longer, I'll ride the whole distance down to work on Friday morning, then ride the whole way home on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have secure bike parking here.

Anyway, good to be here and see you all out on the trails.

Spence

4. Likes srt112, bonniealger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi everyone!

Hi All!

My name is Bonnie, and I've lived in College Park for 3.5 years now. I am completing my DMA in orchestral conducting at the University of Maryland (literally just waiting for my committee to approve my dissertation revisions!). Prior to moving to the D.C. area I lived in Abu Dhabi, Iowa, California, Wisconsin, and Connecticut (my home state).

I get out and ride my bike a little bit everyday (usually just a few miles) and on days when I have more time I will go for a longer ride, especially if the weather's nice! My schedule is a bit more flexible now that I'm primarily teaching privately, so I'm available for more weekday rides, especially earlier in the day.

This is my third BAFS, and I'm a proud alumna of The Just-ice League (2016) and Fourmidable Snowflakes (2017). Somewhat related, I've also done RAGBRAI six times. Maybe some of you have, too?

Those of you in CP/Hyattsville/Riverdale/Greenbelt, we should make it a point of getting together to ride! It would be fantastic if we could head out to Silver Spring and Takoma Park one of these Saturdays (or evenings?) and meet up with our teammates out there!

Lee - I checked the BAFS Strava board and it looks like not all of us are listed in the group yet. I've joined our team via Strava but am not showing up, and I wouldn't be surprised if others are having the same problem. Do you think the organizers are backed up?

Dana and I have both submitted potential team names to the Strava group. Would love to hear even more!

Looking forward to riding with all of you very soon!!!!!!

6. Likes srt112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tip of the helmet

RAGBRAI six times! superimpressive. Have to talk to you about that -- one of those things on my bucket list.

My name is Bonnie, and I've lived in College Park for 3.5 years now. I am completing my DMA in orchestral conducting at the University of Maryland (literally just waiting for my committee to approve my dissertation revisions!). Prior to moving to the D.C. area I lived in Abu Dhabi, Iowa, California, Wisconsin, and Connecticut (my home state).

I get out and ride my bike a little bit everyday (usually just a few miles) and on days when I have more time I will go for a longer ride, especially if the weather's nice! My schedule is a bit more flexible now that I'm primarily teaching privately, so I'm available for more weekday rides, especially earlier in the day.

This is my third BAFS, and I'm a proud alumna of The Just-ice League (2016) and Fourmidable Snowflakes (2017). Somewhat related, I've also done RAGBRAI six times. Maybe some of you have, too?

Those of you in CP/Hyattsville/Riverdale/Greenbelt, we should make it a point of getting together to ride! It would be fantastic if we could head out to Silver Spring and Takoma Park one of these Saturdays (or evenings?) and meet up with our teammates out there!

Lee - I checked the BAFS Strava board and it looks like not all of us are listed in the group yet. I've joined our team via Strava but am not showing up, and I wouldn't be surprised if others are having the same problem. Do you think the organizers are backed up?

Dana and I have both submitted potential team names to the Strava group. Would love to hear even more!

Looking forward to riding with all of you very soon!!!!!![/QUOTE]

8. Likes srt112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Wheel Team 6!

I'm doing my 3rd FS this year. Last year my team was the Fourmidable Snowflakes and Bonnie was on that team too. (Hi Bonnie!) And I got really sick for weeks. I'm going to try to avoid that.

I ride about 35 miles a week doing my dog route in Takoma Park and some 'quaxing' on the weekend. I'm up for a group ride and I consider getting an entire team picture a worthy accomplishment. We have a rider from Reston so the challenge is real. I like taking pictures, mostly of dogs and my bikes but a complete team photo would be awesome.

If you ride the ART, Sligo, or NW Branch, Paint Branch, etc trails please join the Strava Club 'Anacostia River Trails Cycling Club'. thx

Recent weather has overwhelmed me (and my phone's battery) so my contributions to the name game are: Team 6 Polar Vortex Velo and Team 6 The Bomb Cyclone Drones or Cyclodrones or something with Bomb Cylco/cyclist ish. I'll go along with any name though nothing with 'bollards' in it. That's my yellow pole in the road so to speak.

I'd be up for an easy Proteus ride but not in the bitter cold. I can't do anything but my daily and sleaze in that polar vortex crap. That being said I want to get at least one group ride in on the weekend during the competition.

Last year I did The Great Cycle Challenge and I got the jersey raised 11k for 'kids' cancer' and got some strava friends. Check it out and consider donating to a charity, campaign, or joining The Challenge.

Look for forward to seeing you all!

10. Likes Shepard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone in SS or TP up for a ride to College Park for coffee tomorrow am (Friday)? The College Park/Proteus coffee club meets at 7:45 at Board and Brew. I am flexible as to route but plan to depart SS sometime between 6:45 and 7. Will head to downtown DC after. The forecast looks to be wet and warmish. Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    Anyone in SS or TP up for a ride to College Park for coffee tomorrow am (Friday)? The College Park/Proteus coffee club meets at 7:45 at Board and Brew. I am flexible as to route but plan to depart SS sometime between 6:45 and 7. Will head to downtown DC after. The forecast looks to be wet and warmish. Let me know.
    Looking forward to seeing some team 6 folks at College Park Coffee Club tomorrow. Feel free to drive though, it's going to be pretty rainy. Parking is readily available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    I'll be headed to coffee club in the morning. If you want, I could go through Takoma Park on the way. Do you know where the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Coop is? We could meet there around 7am.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    I'll be headed to coffee club in the morning. If you want, I could go through Takoma Park on the way. Do you know where the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Coop is? We could meet there around 7am.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good. See you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default names and rides

Dana, great suggestions. I really like IceSIXles. Here are some additional suggestions:
    1. The Cyclepaths
    2. Viscious Cycle or Viscious Cycles
    3. My variation on one of yours -- The Bicicles.

Other name ideas?

As for rides, this weekend looks cold but dry. Thinking of maybe the Pedalers Sunday ride out of Germantown or the Monday ride from Glen Echo but would like to do something new if anyone has any ideas. Feel like I need a group ride to push my pace. Does Proteus have a regular weekend ride?

- Lee
    Last edited by lmgoldberg; 01-12-2018 at 11:00 AM.