Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BAFS2018 Team 21 - Legal in Las Vegas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from Brightwood Park

Hi all! Alison reporting in from Brightwood Park, DC (north of Petworth and south of Takoma) just off the Interim Met Branch Trail.

I commute down to NoMa, which gets in 10 miles round trip. This is my second winter bike commuting and my first BAFS. I figured this would encourage me to commute more days, or at least bikeshare for the literal last mile from Ft Totten, and get in some weekend rides as well.

My commuter is a super practical Jamis Commuter II from a few years back. Definitely a workhorse and definitely in need of a little TLC at the moment. This spring I bought a Felt F85x so I could more comfortably go on longer rides (yes, I swapped out the tires). It's a cool bike but the brakes have been nothing but trouble, so it's currently out of commission until I can take it in yet again.

Additional winter reinforcements (lobster gloves, sock liners, and a face mask) arrived yesterday, so the next cold snap will not hold me back quite as much as this first one did. You're welcome for the nice weather today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinstah View Post
    My commuter is a super practical Jamis Commuter II from a few years back. Definitely a workhorse and definitely in need of a little TLC at the moment. This spring I bought a Felt F85x so I could more comfortably go on longer rides (yes, I swapped out the tires). It's a cool bike but the brakes have been nothing but trouble, so it's currently out of commission until I can take it in yet again.
    What's the issue with the brakes? What shop are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

If you wind up needing to replace the brakes on the F85X the TRP Spyres are very good as far as mechanical discs go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meet me for coffee on MLK Monday!

Gang,

I'm doing a ride on Monday with a couple of other riding buddies (one playing Freezing Saddles, the other not). We have an ETA of 1100-ish at Colada for coffee. 1405 T Street NW.

https://www.coladashop.com/location/washington-dc-1/

Have a great weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Conte's in Falls Church does a weekly hill ride Saturday mornings and I'm inviting y'all. Wheels up at 8:30. Brian, the Captain of Team 20, usually leads this shop ride, but we can't let them have all the "fun," can we? It's about 20mi and tomorrow will be cold and windy. What could go wrong? More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1758403247800931/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Conte's in Falls Church does a weekly hill ride Saturday mornings and I'm inviting y'all. Wheels up at 8:30. Brian, the Captain of Team 20, usually leads this shop ride, but we can't let them have all the "fun," can we? It's about 20mi and tomorrow will be cold and windy. What could go wrong? More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1758403247800931/
    I will add a second note of encouragement to do this ride. Brian is a good friend. When my schedule and ... egads ... weather ... permit, I make guest appearances on his ride. Lots of good people. No drop. Coffee and bagels afterwards back at the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I canít believe I forgot the free coffee and bagels incentive!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake woes

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    What's the issue with the brakes? What shop are you using?
    They won't. stop. squeaking. I bought the bike last April from BicycleSpace (AdMo) and from May - August I brought it back in three times, and it spent something like 8-10 weeks hanging up in the shop while they went back and forth with Felt about warranty repairs/replacements. (At the time, they were telling me that other Felts they'd sold were having the same problem, and Felt was dragging their feet in covering BicycleSpace's costs for warranty repairs. So I got caught up in all that as well.) Between the two repairs all the brake components were replaced, and I know the calipers were upgraded, though offhand I can't recall what they put on. Anyway. After the second warranty repair, they were ok for ~80 miles and now are back at it.

It is, however, entirely possible that this is due to a spill I took not long after that repair. They were a little wonky after that, I took it to Bike Rack Brookland (my usual shop), they realigned things and it seemed OK. But then about halfway through the next long ride the squeak started back up and was pretty bad by the time I got home. Current plan is to take it back to the Bike Rack. That was supposed to be one of my Christmas gifts so I haven't done it, but I think my gift has been switched to a Garmin, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    If you wind up needing to replace the brakes on the F85X the TRP Spyres are very good as far as mechanical discs go.
    Thank you for the rec, I will keep this in mind in case they need to be replaced.

It has overall been an extremely frustrating experience. But despite this I did manage to do my two longest rides ever on that bike this fall, so that was cool. If I can ever manage to ride it enough to get used to the shifting, then I can move on to the next challenge: clipless pedals.

Post Thanks / Like

They won't. stop. squeaking.
    Two good articles about squeaking brakes (the first one covers both rim and disc brakes).

http://road.cc/content/feature/18850...akes-squealing

https://www.artscyclery.com/learning...squealing.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, Taylor here. This is my second Freezing Saddles, the first was two years ago (didn't manage to sign up in time last year). I picked up regular biking while I was in grad school to get to and from campus and picked up longer rides soon after. By the time I started working in the area I was determined to do the majority of my commuting by bike, and here we are a couple years later and I'm bike commuting just about every day from College Park to either Suitland or Greenbelt. After years of using an old 84 Peugeot as my commuter/workhorse it was recently retired and replaced by a new gravel bike. Group rides and mountain biking tend to fill in my biking fix on the weekends.