Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer gravel races?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Longer gravel races?

I'm not sure why the longer gravel races seem to top out around 70 miles. When I'm gonna block off a day for a race, I kinda want it to be an all-day race. I know about DK200 and Croatan Buck Fifty, but wondering if there are some longer (e.g. >80 miles, 100-150 miles sounds great) mixed-surface races in a 5-hour radius of the DC area that I might be missing?

With so many options now, I'm a little surprised that there isn't more diversity in the length of the events around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly local, but in case you need an excuse to visit Stillwater, Oklahoma (yay!) there's the Land Run 100.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Granfondoguide.com has a big list of gravel races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Granfondoguide.com has a big list of gravel races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the link. Well, that map doesn't show anything longer than 100 miles in the region. Oh well.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like you might've liked this on Facebook, but there's a 200k option...

http://www.oswaldcycleworks.com/dirtydoublecross

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the links copies over, but here's a few.

Century gravel ride in PA: Lu Lacka Wyco Hundo*(already full for 2018, but you may still be able to register to ride for a charity)

Metric century gravel rides in PA:
    Keystone Gravel
    Gravel Fondo
    Iron Cross
    Whiskey Rebellion
    Monkey Knife Fight
    Brandywine Valley Roubaix III
    Gravel Grape Crusher

Century gravel in SC: Swamp Fox Gravel Fondo

Forgot to add, the Jerimiah Bishop Alpine Loop Gran Fondo in Harrisonburg. It's ~107 miles of gravel/road mix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AFHokie; 01-10-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    I don't think the links copies over, but here's a few.

Century gravel ride in PA: Lu Lacka Wyco Hundo*(already full for 2018, but you may still be able to register to ride for a charity)

Metric century gravel rides in PA:
    Keystone Gravel
    Gravel Fondo
    Iron Cross
    Whiskey Rebellion
    Monkey Knife Fight
    Brandywine Valley Roubaix III
    Gravel Grape Crusher

Century gravel in SC: Swamp Fox Gravel Fondo

Forgot to add, the Jerimiah Bishop Alpine Loop Gran Fondo in Harrisonburg. It's ~107 miles of gravel/road mix

Thank you so much! -- I had forgotten about the JB Alpine Loop; I've heard that is a lot of fun. (I guess that works on a normal road bike?)

Yeah, seems like most things are metric centuries. Not to discount the difficulty of races like HBR or Iron Cross (or I'm sure others on that list that I haven't done), but was hoping to find something a little longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I feel like you might've liked this on Facebook, but there's a 200k option...

http://www.oswaldcycleworks.com/dirtydoublecross
    Yeah, I did see that, but when I looked into it I wrote it off because it was non-competitive, but more importantly it was self-supported. I kinda like paying to have places to get water and nutrition refills, course marking, etc. (My Garmin won't last long enough w/ nav running for 200k, for one thing.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Thank you so much! -- I had forgotten about the JB Alpine Loop; I've heard that is a lot of fun. (I guess that works on a normal road bike?)

Yeah, seems like most things are metric centuries. Not to discount the difficulty of races like HBR or Iron Cross (or I'm sure others on that list that I haven't done), but was hoping to find something a little longer.
    Its a very well run event. I did it in 2016 and really enjoyed it. You can certainly ride a road bike, but it's recommend not going smaller than 28's.

I did it on 32 slicks on my "adventure" bike, but if I were to do it again I think I'd want 38 or 40 with some tread. It was dry, but the loss of traction every time I tried to stand up on almost every gravel incline made me wish I'd changed the tires. I'd also do it with SPD shoes instead of road bike shoes. The second gravel climb has sections that are more rock than gravel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I've ridden it several times on a road bike with 25s. Which is exactly how you'd want to ride it (well, except faster than me).

What, you want something longer? Well, I suggest you revisit something you've appeared to notice on FB already https://www.facebook.com/events/1583483341702188/

(That would be such an awesome way to spent a few days)