Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer gravel races?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blacknell View Post
    I've ridden it several times on a road bike with 25s. Which is exactly how you'd want to ride it (well, except faster than me).

What, you want something longer? Well, I suggest you revisit something you've appeared to notice on FB already https://www.facebook.com/events/1583483341702188/

(That would be such an awesome way to spent a few days)
    Ha, yeah, Rockstar does look like so much fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Random post to derail your thread mostly.

Over the holidays I was back where I grew up in rural Western North Carolina. Didn't take a bike but I went driving around. When I was young I would put together a ride of all the gravel sections I could string together into a big ride on Paris-Roubaix race day. Gave me something to think about while I waited for the next issue of Velo News to arrive in the mail.

I was bummed to see that "the last" road has been paved. I have been watching them all get paved over the years, just like the one I grew up on. Still great roads and probably a huge improvement for the folks that live on them and the county roads budget. Must be cheaper in the long run to pave a road. But...all just memories now.

I've done some other types of cool gravel rides just west of here.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a tree fiddy piloting at at Dirty Kanza this year. DKXL is by invitation only, self-supported, expected to complete the course in about 24hrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Shendaoh Mountain Touring near Harrisburg runs the VA Rough Robuix each spring. Long route around 90. http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/home/hbody.htm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, I did see that, but when I looked into it I wrote it off because it was non-competitive, but more importantly it was self-supported. I kinda like paying to have places to get water and nutrition refills, course marking, etc. (My Garmin won't last long enough w/ nav running for 200k, for one thing.)
    Well it turns out I'm non-competitive too, so... As far as nav is concerned, are you trying to keep things minimal, so no battery packs and such?

Thanks for starting this thread though. I had no idea there were so many options out there.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Well it turns out I'm non-competitive too, so... As far as nav is concerned, are you trying to keep things minimal, so no battery packs and such?

Thanks for starting this thread though. I had no idea there were so many options out there.
    I probably just need to invest in a battery pack for my Garmin 1000. I admit I have not looked into that at all, buy if I could get something that I can hook up to the Go Pro mount under my k-edge out-front mount, that would be sweet .... Time to do some research!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I probably just need to invest in a battery pack for my Garmin 1000. I admit I have not looked into that at all, buy if I could get something that I can hook up to the Go Pro mount under my k-edge out-front mount, that would be sweet .... Time to do some research!
    Probably just time to upgrade to the 1030 and get the integrated battery pack. It's only a $730 outlay.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571552

Post Thanks / Like

How do you feel about 335 miles of gravel in under 24 hours?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    How do you feel about 335 miles of gravel in under 24 hours?
    Queasy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Probably just time to upgrade to the 1030 and get the integrated battery pack. It's only a $730 outlay.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571552
    OR... And I am just going to throw this out there... You could just buy a regular old battery pack.

One of these kept my Garmin going for 20+ hours and STILL had enough juice to charge my phone twice. And they are relatively inexpensive at $18 each. I bought three of them thinking I would need to change them out at every check point at DK200, but it just kept going and going and going.