Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Longer gravel races?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, it does seem like they have a lot of potential with the Android base.

The lack of speaker for auditory alerts feels like a big deal for navigation, but maybe in practice it wouldn't really matter.

If they could get battery life to a real 15-20 hours and the operation in rain really is as good as they say, that would be very compelling.

Do you plan to put a SIM in it?
    It'll be interesting to see how current they keep the Android base. Right now, it's a heavily customized and locked down version of Marshmallow.

For all of the other hardware they packed into it "just in case" - I'm surprised they skipped a speaker, though one possible feature down the road is audible alerts through a Bluetooth device (e.g., speaker/headphones/etc.). The ability to re-route on the fly should make it less of an issue, hopefully. I'm going to give the routing a try tomorrow morning on a semi-familiar route, so we'll see.

Visibility in the light rain yesterday afternoon was quite good, and not that I did a lot with it, but the touchscreen behaved well and worked nicely with my gloves on in the rain as well. During my two hour ride yesterday, the battery reported going down to 87% by the time I got home - that was with the screen always on (displaying the map w/location and path already taken) with adaptive brightness set, but without any paired sensors. So that's a promising start.

I am looking at various cheap/free SIM options (e.g., something like Freedom Pop), since adding it to my regular AT&T mobile share plan at $10 or $20 per month just isn't worth it, at least with the current feature set. Right now, the only reason to have that kind of connectivity is if I go beyond the broader DC area or a planned route that I saved as offline maps and I don't feel like using some public WiFi spot or tethering to my phone; if/when they have more apps on there it could be more compelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I'm going to give the routing a try tomorrow morning on a semi-familiar route, so we'll see.
    Routing was a mixed bag. On the plus side, at least early in a ride/route, it attempted to re-route very quickly - so quickly, that it was hard to tell without looking at the map that it was a re-route as opposed to just the original directions. So subtle. On the down side - unlike the routing on, say, the Wahoo Elemnt (shows deviation as the crow flies when you're off the route, but when you find it again it picks up seamlessly), the Karoo seemed to get confused whenever I got back on route. The entire time I was on the US 50 sidepath (tried that to get from Rosslyn to Pentagon City), even though I was on the route, the screen just said "re-routing" for the next direction.

It also had an odd fascination to some sidepaths, and aversion to others. For example, going down Madison (on the Mall), it kept wanting me to take the sidewalk rather than the street. On the other hand, taking the Bluemont trail between 4MR and Ballston, it wanted me to hop off the trail and take Bluemont Drive for a few blocks. Weird.

As far as battery life: total of 8 hours on the road today, and battery life reported at 49% when I got home. Of that 8 hours: 3.5 were active (device/screen on and trying to track my location/follow the route), 1.75 semi-active (navigation and tracking paused while stopped, but ready to continue at a moment's notice), and the rest barely-active (screen off and not doing much of anything since no ride was underway). By contrast, my Wahoo Elemnt (same timings, but also paired with cadence and speed sensors and my phone via Bluetooth) reported 58% battery left when we got home.

All in all - lots of potential. I'll probably take it with me when I want a pretty map to look at, but otherwise, it'll sit on the charger pending another update or two.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback! Too bad the routing isn't better. Hopefully they can fix this up with future updates.

I think at $299 it is an enticing option, but I cannot imagine people paying the msrp $499 they keep threatening to put into effect; even if they had a rock-solid platform, the Garmin at at that price point will probably boast more workout features, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Great feedback! Too bad the routing isn't better. Hopefully they can fix this up with future updates.

I think at $299 it is an enticing option, but I cannot imagine people paying the msrp $499 they keep threatening to put into effect; even if they had a rock-solid platform, the Garmin at at that price point will probably boast more workout features, etc.
    I'm cautiously optimistic on the routing - from the early feedback I've seen on their forums, it sounds like they've already improved things by leaps and bounds. And definitely agreed on pricing. Even if they build out their entire software roadmap and it's awesome, the $499 price point seems a bit too much (especially when, to take full advantage of that, you'd be looking at a monthly data plan on top of the purchase price).