Thread: Powder Coating in the DC Metro area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder Coating in the DC Metro area

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a steel frame blasted and powder coated? I have a 1984 Olmo Competiton that I am working on restoring and the frame has enough superficial rust that it could use a new coat of paint. I would prefer to use someone who has worked with bike frames before because it had some chrome on it that needs to be preserved. Also, approximate prices would be helpful too. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't personally used these guys, but they were recommended to me when I was looking to do some small batch powder coating:

http://www.extremepowdercoating.com/

I asked the tuner shop for my VW if they had any experience with them as they're right down the block, and extreme does all of their powder coating, so I'd guess that's good enough for me.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a couple of frames powder coated. The first one was by a guy that isn't in business anymore (Dominion Powder Coating). But for most recent job I used ASCO (https://www.ascoweb.com/). They do lots of bike frames & know what to mask off, etc. Prices were very competitive. I was doing a very small frame (kids bike), but I believe it was $175 for a premium color (using Prismatic powder that required a clearcoat). Figure somewhere around $200. The other estimate I got (can't seem to find the email) was a lot more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I appreciate the leads. I will reach out to both of them and report back to provide a reference for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I also took a frame to Asco a while ago (maybe 15 years ago?). I got a simple, one-color, industrial coating that has held up very well. The price was reasonable, and they did a fine job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jash264 View Post
    I appreciate the leads. I will reach out to both of them and report back to provide a reference for the future.
    Please do. I'm going to be looking to respray my Bridgestone XO-1 when it stops being my daily commuter in a few months.