Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Connect and Strava.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Or...just try a manual sync (which is free) and see what happens, before breaking anything now. But I like to live on the edge...
    Yeah, that's what I've done. Just need to make sure it doesn't duplicate which is what it's currently doing. Have to delete the duplicates on strava. Of course, I could always just record on my Garmin device and this would all be moot..... But then I don't get to choose fancy new ride titles without going in to Strava and making edits. I just want it all done for me!!!!!!! Ok, I'll stop whining now....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Yeah, that's what I've done. Just need to make sure it doesn't duplicate which is what it's currently doing. Have to delete the duplicates on strava. Of course, I could always just record on my Garmin device and this would all be moot..... But then I don't get to choose fancy new ride titles without going in to Strava and making edits. I just want it all done for me!!!!!!! Ok, I'll stop whining now....
    Right now Strava pulls from Garmin, but Garmin doesn't pull from Strava. Neither pushes to the other. It's easy to turn off Strava from pulling from Garmin - just disconnect/deauthorize in Strava and Garmin.

As for your original question, I'm not quite sure why if you like Strava you'd want to move things to Garmin. Either way the syncing isn't going to be perfect and you're going to get duplicates. And if the goal is to have "everything" in one place, right now it's easier to achieve that with Strava being the one place than Garmin, unless you record all activities with Garmin.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Question--I have it set so Strava and Garmin Connect automatically sync, usually within a few seconds of my garmin uploading a ride to Connect. Why do you prefer it goes the opposite way? Is the auto-sync from connect to Strava dropping data or something? I show up on BAFS leaderboards and everything else fine with the auto-sync enabled, so I'm just trying to understand why it doesn't work for you.
    I guess maybe if his Garmin device doesn't have BT and he has to manually upload rides? Like you, I turn on my Garmin, it auto-connects to my phone, auto-uploads the ride to GC when I'm done, then GC automatically sends the ride to Strava. It's rare that I ever open the GC app or website (or Strava, for that matter).

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like no one actually read Brett's post :-)

I assume he uses Strava ON HIS PHONE.

Hence it isn't going to upload to Garmin Connect without some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    It's like no one actually read Brett's post :-)

I assume he uses Strava ON HIS PHONE.

Hence it isn't going to upload to Garmin Connect without some help.
    He said:

I currently have my accounts synced such that Strava pulls from Garmin Connect.
    So using GC to actually track the rides (admittedly I've never even considered doing this), but wanting to use Strava. If the phone is an iPhone, I wonder if the Wellness plan could pull from Apple Health? Apple Health will pull in data from Strava and spit it out to whatever other programs you authorize.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 01-09-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    So using GC to actually track the rides (admittedly I've never even considered doing this)
    I don't even see that as an option in GC. I can only add manual activities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I guess maybe if his Garmin device doesn't have BT and he has to manually upload rides? Like you, I turn on my Garmin, it auto-connects to my phone, auto-uploads the ride to GC when I'm done, then GC automatically sends the ride to Strava. It's rare that I ever open the GC app or website (or Strava, for that matter).
    The bolded section is basically what the issue is.

I can record my ride either via my Garmin Forerunner 35 or via my phone. The Garmin has the benefit of being able to track heart rate and instantly syncs to both GC and Strava. The phone has the benefit of more accurate elevation data, setting up ride titles at upload (rather than after the fact), and attaching pictures at time of upload rather than having to go back into the ride and make edits. I really wouldn't care much about Garmin Connect, except that is how my Wellness program tracks my activites (I could also use MapmyRide, Apple Fitness or whatever that's called, etc.). The only app that isn't connected to my Wellness program is Strava....

Anyhow, it's really not a big issue. I got the answer I was looking for. I wanted a way to do this with less active steps on my behalf (because I then forget to do them and never look at Strava, and I'm lazy and want to automate everything). Based upon the answers provided, Tapiriik is the only way to sync Strava to GC. So I need to choose whether:

- to use that service and spend a little extra money and give my info to yet another third party
    - use my Garmin Forerunner 35 and force myself to pay attention to strava
    - or use my phone and manually sync to GC but ensure that rides are not duplicated on Strava.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSalovesh View Post
    I don't even see that as an option in GC. I can only add manual activities.
    Aha...I'm actually surprised. I just assumed it would have that functionality, but like I said, it's not something I ever thought to actually look for in the app.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    big issue. I got the answer I was looking for. I wanted a way to do this with less active steps on my behalf (because I then forget to do them and never look at Strava, and I'm lazy and want to automate everything). Based upon the answers provided, Tapiriik is the only way to sync Strava to GC. So I need to choose whether:

- to use that service and spend a little extra money and give my info to yet another third party
    - use my Garmin Forerunner 35 and force myself to pay attention to strava
    - or use my phone and manually sync to GC but ensure that rides are not duplicated on Strava.

Thanks all!
    Maybe not your only option. Try https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/

It's free, and will automatically sync. You have to play with settings though so you don't double up on rides, but even someone who is pretty awful at technology like me can figure it out without too much hassle.