Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Connect and Strava.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Connect and Strava.......

Question for the cycling tech gurus out there:

Is there a way to get Garmin Connect to pull from Strava?

I currently have my accounts synced such that Strava pulls from Garmin Connect. I much prefer Strava, and things like BAFS make Strava important. I also prefer the interface on my phone for Strava. Unfortunately, my "Wellness" program at work does not sync with Strava (I'm guessing Strava doesn't pay them money like Garmin or MapMyRide), but it does with Garmin. I am aware that I can export gpx files from Strava and import into Garmin Connect, but this also leads to Strava pulling the imported rides from Garmin, essentially doubling up the rides. Plus, that's one more thing I have to do when I would rather have it all automated.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Throwing this out there though I know nothing about it: has anyone looked at https://tapiriik.com/ ? It's a 3rd party web-service that claims to be able to accomplish what you're looking for (sync across different platforms and avoid duplicates).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Throwing this out there though I know nothing about it: has anyone looked at https://tapiriik.com/ ? It's a 3rd party web-service that claims to be able to accomplish what you're looking for (sync across different platforms and avoid duplicates).
    That would be amazing! Anyone have experience with said third-party app? Is it trustworthy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    That would be amazing! Anyone have experience with said third-party app? Is it trustworthy?
    I used it before Strava started picking up rides from Garmin. It worked fine. It was definitely worth the $2 a year to get it to sync automatically, instead of my having to remember to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Question--I have it set so Strava and Garmin Connect automatically sync, usually within a few seconds of my garmin uploading a ride to Connect. Why do you prefer it goes the opposite way? Is the auto-sync from connect to Strava dropping data or something? I show up on BAFS leaderboards and everything else fine with the auto-sync enabled, so I'm just trying to understand why it doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by Emm; 01-09-2018 at 11:28 AM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Question--I have it set so Strava and Garmin Connect automatically sync, usually within a few seconds of my garmin uploading a ride to Connect. Why do you prefer it goes the opposite way? Is the auto-sync from connect to Strava dropping data or something? I show up on BAFS leaderboards and everything else fine with the auto-sync enabled, so I'm just trying to understand why it doesn't work for you.
    He wants to record on Strava and then have it go on to GC.

To OP, yes, tapiriik worked great for me before the auto sync was built in; however, I assume you will have same problem with duplicate rides?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

To OP, yes, tapiriik worked great for me before the auto sync was built in; however, I assume you will have same problem with duplicate rides?
    They claim on the FAQ page that they will not create duplicate rides as a result of the auto-sync. It looks like they have a dashboard setup so you can view what got synchronized where, and can also not have it done automatically but "on demand" if you want, at least until you're comfortable that it's working as desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

Well, all I'd have to do is break the direct connect between GC and Strava so that the only source of synchronization is Tapiriik, and that would eliminate double rides. And precisely, record Strava, sync to GC.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    They claim on the FAQ page that they will not create duplicate rides as a result of the auto-sync. It looks like they have a dashboard setup so you can view what got synchronized where, and can also not have it done automatically but "on demand" if you want, at least until you're comfortable that it's working as desired.
    Nice -- I should have assumed they'd be smarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Well, all I'd have to do is break the direct connect between GC and Strava so that the only source of synchronization is Tapiriik, and that would eliminate double rides. And precisely, record Strava, sync to GC.
    Or...just try a manual sync (which is free) and see what happens, before breaking anything now. But I like to live on the edge...