Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A "Sleeze Ride" by any other name?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A "Sleeze Ride" by any other name?

So as a Freezing Saddles first timer I made the mistake of reading the roughly 30 some pages of posts in the Freezing Saddles 2018 thread after I signed up and instantly began wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into. I mostly ride my bikes for fun/training and I ride bike shares for transportation around the city because of the pervasive bike theft problem. In Fall 2016 I made a deal with myself that if I bought a new bike I needed to ride it all winter long and between late November and early March last year I rode about 900 mi. When I signed up for Freezing Saddles I assumed this winter would be similar to last winter (35-40'F)and I'd be able to do two 20-25mi commute + workout ride days during the week plus a 30-40mi ride each Saturday and that would be my contribution to my team. Well this January has not started off like last winter and I'm not inclined to do long fast rides in traffic when it's below freezing and potentially icy. So far all my FS miles have been on bikeshares, and if I weren't participating in FS these are trips I would have otherwise walked or taken the bus, but I don't want to bring down my future team and have no points for the week so I turn on my Garmin and hop on a bikeshare. While all these bikeshare trips have been taken to get on the board for the day otherwise I would have walked, they have been actual trips I needed to take and not just riding my bike around the block to hit a mile. So what I'm asking is what defines a "sleeze ride"? Is it just a ride to nowhere for the sake of points, or if you are actually using a bike to get to the store or a bar or whatever that happens to be 1.1 mi away are you free from "sleeze ride" shame?
    Last edited by MarkinDC; 01-05-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: dumb typo

2. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinDC View Post
    So what I'm asking is what defines a "sleeze ride"? Is it just a ride to no where for the sake of points, or if you are actually using a bike to get to the store or a bar or whatever that happens to be 1.1 mi away are you free from "sleeze ride" shame?
    All rides between 1 mile and 1.99 miles are Sleaze Rides, regardless of intent. Wear the badge with pride. There is no shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just a ride to no where for the sake of points, or if you are actually using a bike to get to the store or a bar or whatever that happens to be 1.1 mi away are you free from "sleeze ride" shame?
    I feel absolutely no shame in my sleeze rides, and neither should you.

Seriously, days like yesterday or today would have been downright dangerous for me to commute in since my bikes aren't set up well for snow and ice, and my snow riding skills are pretty poor. A 1 mile CaBi around the National Mall during lunch, or a loop around my neighborhood makes for a great alternative to risking injury on an icy trail. If you're able to work short rides into activities you're already doing, all the better. But even if it's just riding a mile for the sake of riding a mile, go for it. Don't feel shamed about not doing massive miles in the snow or subzero temps. This is supposed to be fun, not something that causes you to ride your bike when you don't feel safe on it.

5. Likes AlanA, Steve O, consularrider, Edelweiss, reji and 3 others liked this post
    ELITE LhasaCM, rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just a ride to no where for the sake of points, or if you are actually using a bike to get to the store or a bar or whatever that happens to be 1.1 mi away are you free from "sleeze ride" shame?
    There's no actual shame in a sleaze ride and most folks around here put in a lot of time, money and effort to make the area the type of place where people will hop on their bike and ride a mile down the road to run an errand. I'm glad that you're doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

So as a Freezing Saddles first timer I made the mistake of reading the roughly 30 some pages of posts in the Freezing Saddles 2018 thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-AM060_JORDAN_G_20160203123002.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	16043

8. Likes JonRobot, Jenkinms, AFHokie, bikedavid, Judd and 5 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sleazing/sleezing is a badge of honor! More so if it's a ride to nowhere simply to get 10 points!

rcannon100 is online now Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

The riders with the most Sleeze Rides as of the time of the Happy Hour will be awarded the following yellow jersey which they must then wear until the next happy hour

11. Likes Nadine, Steve O, kwarkentien, bikedavid, reji and 3 others liked this post
    ELITE chuxtr ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I started Freezing Saddles I had no idea that the distance from the CaBi dock at Union Station to the CaBi dock nearest my house is 1.1 miles. I'm now very aware of that fact, and sitting near the top of one of the leaderboards!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a *sleeze commute.* So there.

14. Likes Nadine, kwarkentien liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata, PeteD ELITED this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Sleazing/sleezing is a badge of honor! More so if it's a ride to nowhere simply to get 10 points!
    I agree, a ride that ends where it began is more truly sleazy than a one mile ride to get some essential item, such as twist ties, or confectionary sugar. I believe its even more truly sleazy, and thus more admirable, if you do something like just riding around a driveway enough times to make a mile.