Thread: temperature recorded by Garmin

Post Thanks / Like

Default temperature recorded by Garmin

Over the past few days, just out of curiosity, I've been keeping an eye on the temperatures recorded by my Garmin Edge 500, as shown in my Strava log. Each day I am doing rides that register in the upper 40s and even in the 50s F. This makes no sense...I'm wearing three pairs of pants and I *know* it's cold out there. Has anyone else been getting absurdly high temperature readings? I carry my Garmin in the pocket of my outer jacket...there's no way it's 50 degrees in there. Garmin's wishful thinking doesn't much matter, so long as it keeps recording my miles, but it's just a bit odd.
    Thanks for any insights. w&w

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would be surprised how warm it is in your pocket. Might I suggest you put the garmin in a sock, mesh bag or old nylon and tie it to your handlebars for a day? My garmin is mounted on the bars and although it needs to cool down (from room temp) at the beginning of the ride (it spends the day with me inside), the temps at the end of 5.5 miles were 9, 10, 16, 19, 19, and 28f for my commutes this week.

If the temp had been 40-50f, we wouldn't have had to consider Steve O's codpiece.

3. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Edge comes with a handy 90 deg twist lock mount thingy. My Edge 1000 rocks the Rule 9 and reads about 6 deg colder than actual when mounted on the bar.

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Garmin Edge comes with a handy 90 deg twist lock mount thingy. My Edge 1000 rocks the Rule 9 and reads about 6 deg colder than actual when mounted on the bar.
    That's about exactly how much colder my Edge reads. I think my Edge 510 was the same 5-7 colder.

(I think that on hot days it reads similarly hotter, though.) I haven't noticed a difference if it is mounted on the Garmin plastic out-front mount vs. the k-edge alloy mount.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    My Edge 1000 rocks the Rule 9 and reads about 6 deg colder than actual when mounted on the bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    That's about exactly how much colder my Edge reads.
    (I think that on hot days it reads similarly hotter, FTW.)
    ftfy
    Man, what a great feature! Makes me want to upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh.
    My 810 only shows weather/temperature data from nearby weather stations...it doesn't read any temperatures at the device. Its rated down to -20C/-6F - its been working fine these days, despite windchill numbers at least as low as those.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    Huh.
    My 810 only shows weather/temperature data from nearby weather stations...it doesn't read any temperatures at the device. Its rated down to -20C/-6F - its been working fine these days, despite windchill numbers at least as low as those.
    I think it depends on how you set it up through Garmin Connect. I, like you, have mine set to take temp data from the Garmin Connect app, but I assume that if you turn this function off the device defaults to the internal thermometer (which is what the 800 and 500 do, since they don't have bluetooth).

10. Likes wheels&wings liked this post