Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2018 Michigander-You call THAT a snow day?!-Prize

Back for the third year, and always in hope of a winter's magical day where the ground is white and work is cancelled (or at very least, we got a dusting, but work's still cancelled), its the Michigander-"You call THAT a snow day?!"-Prize!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	michigan-bike-bliz.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	16010

This prize is in honor of my homeland, the Mitten State, where traditionally snow days were only called if it snowed more than 5 inches starting after 3am (giving no time to clear the roads for buses), and MSU prided itself for not cancelling class due to weather since "that one time in the 70s." This was in lower Michigan of course, up North they shrug and drive on two feet of compacted snow.

The rules are simple:
    • The person who rides on the most official OPM-called "snow days" wins.
    • This means weekdays when the operating status of the Federal government in the DC-area is CLOSED due to snow/winter weather. Late arrive/early departure days and snowy days on the weekend do not count. (If I still have to drag my public-non-profit butt to the office, it's not a snow day).
    • Only rides in the Greater Washington area count for this (I'm looking at you, snow birds)
    • Ties, which I anticipate will be many, will be broken by cumulative distance.

But wait? What if due to global warming/climate change/hot-air-from-Pennsylvania-Ave we don't get ANY snow days this year?
    In that case, the alternate winner will be whoever rides the most miles on Michigan's Birthday: January 26th (The day it became the 26th state in the Union. Clever.)

The Prize:
    The winner of the Michigander Prize will win a 6-pack of carefully curated craft brews from the Mitten State--it's so authentic I paid a 10-cent bottle deposit on each one!

I will use this thread to keep track of the snow days, but feel free to post your snow day ride pictures and stories. I just might come up with some runner-up prizes for such that best encapsulate one of our state mottos of "Winter Wonderland."

**Notice: This prize is not meant to encourage or promote dangerous or stupid behavior for the sake of winning. If conditions are bad or authorities are telling you to stay off the roads. In Michigan we stay in during the storm, and play hard in the snow afterward. Have fun but be safe!**

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Your leaderboard still says stuff from last year, but I'll update it soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Does today count? I'm looking forward to my ride today, it's going to be a lot of fun on my new gravel bike

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Does today count? I'm looking forward to my ride today, it's going to be a lot of fun on my new gravel bike
    According to the rules, 2 hour delayed arrival doesn't count as a snow day. But rules are meant to be broken. And if this is the only "snow day" we get during Freezing Saddles, maybe Kitty will count it. But regardless, it's a ride your bike day!

Post Thanks / Like

On days like today I remember why I still have a heavy, internally-geared, roller-braked, fat-tired Dutch bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    According to the rules, 2 hour delayed arrival doesn't count as a snow day. But rules are meant to be broken. And if this is the only "snow day" we get during Freezing Saddles, maybe Kitty will count it. But regardless, it's a ride your bike day!
    Chuxtr is quite right. I'm gearing up to go to work right now, so it doesn't count as a "Snow Day" for the purposes of this pointless prize. If we don't get any true, honest-to-goodness-free-vacation-day closures, the alternate form of winning is miles of Michigan Day (mark your calendars)

Post Thanks / Like

The quality of the prize is spectacular! I fully intend upon defending my win from last year!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    The quality of the prize is spectacular! I fully intend upon defending my win from last year!
    I'm so glad to hear it! I always have a lot of fun picking them out from among the offerings at the Spirit Shop near my family's place, and explaining to them what its for.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Michigan Week

I just got back from a week in Michigan, where we had some nice snow to ride in.

Name:	MichiganBike.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	16509

Name:	MichiganBike2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	16510

Name:	MichiganBike3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	16511

Name:	MichiganBike4.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	16512

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone better go ride tomorrow in case we don't end up getting a snow day.