Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Northwest BAFS Advantage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacific Northwest BAFS Advantage

So, I noticed that I wasn't showing up on the BAFS website leaderboard, so I followed the directions to reauthorize my Strava connection, and what do you know, I've apparently biked 4 days during this competition when it's only the 3rd day of the year!

I had biked ~13 miles to watch the fireworks on NYE in Seattle, and somehow that ride counts as an extra 23 points (13 miles + 10 day points) on the BAFS scoreboard! Technically, for me the ride was on 12/31/2017 but according to East Coast time, it was on 01/01/2018 (I even joked about it counting as an extra day in the ride title)!

Here's the ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1335543423

For the sake of a fair competition, please remove that ride from my points. Should I change the title to the #NOBAFS?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    So, I noticed that I wasn't showing up on the BAFS website leaderboard, so I followed the directions to reauthorize my Strava connection, and what do you know, I've apparently biked 4 days during this competition when it's only the 3rd day of the year!

I had biked ~13 miles to watch the fireworks on NYE in Seattle, and somehow that ride counts as an extra 23 points (13 miles + 10 day points) on the BAFS scoreboard! Technically, for me the ride was on 12/31/2017 but according to East Coast time, it was on 01/01/2018 (I even joked about it counting as an extra day in the ride title)!

Here's the ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1335543423

For the sake of a fair competition, please remove that ride from my points. Should I change the title to the #NOBAFS?
    I can't remove that ride If you want to delete it from Strava, you can. But honestly, it is within the rules. The competition starts at midnight Jan 1 Eastern time. So you can ride on Dec 31 and have it count if you're out west. This has also affected start/end times for, e.g., vvill, so you're not getting special treatment.

Edit: Note that this also means you'll have to end any March 19th ride (if I'm remembering the end date right) a few hours early. So it goes both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I can't remove that ride If you want to delete it from Strava, you can. But honestly, it is within the rules. The competition starts at midnight Jan 1 Eastern time. So you can ride on Dec 31 and have it count if you're out west. This has also affected start/end times for, e.g., vvill, so you're not getting special treatment.

Edit: Note that this also means you'll have to end any March 19th ride (if I'm remembering the end date right) a few hours early. So it goes both ways.
    I agree that the ride should count because of the time difference, etc. But... how can he have 4 days ridden so far when it is January 3rd? Something else seems to be off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealing with time zones and dates is one of the most difficult things in coding. It would really be much easier if we could just count seconds since the beginning of time and correct for time zones only when you need to display for a person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Dealing with time zones and dates is one of the most difficult things in coding. It would really be much easier if we could just count seconds since the beginning of time and correct for time zones only when you need to display for a person.
    Um, you pretty much described what time_t and tzdata do...

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Um, you pretty much described what time_t and tzdata do...
    Yeah but it needs to be illegal to do it any other way

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I agree that the ride should count because of the time difference, etc. But... how can he have 4 days ridden so far when it is January 3rd? Something else seems to be off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I don't know if I wrote that piece, but I believe the logic is truncating to the date value, which would count as 4 days -- i.e. It isn't calculating a time delta. I think we need to tweak that metric to take the truncated contest dates also into consideration.

Edit: the ride start dates just need to be converted to EST5EDT before the date is truncated.

Edit 2: Issue created: https://github.com/hozn/freezingsaddles/issues/34 -- I assigned it to jrenaut, since I think he made that leaderboard -- and doing the tz math in mysql sounds "fun"
    Last edited by hozn; 01-04-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since this is really only going to affect rides for first day and for last day of competition for select few, would it not be easier to just have them modify their rides timestamp rather than mucking with the code?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I added #NoBAFS to both the ride title and description. Hopefully this will remove that ride from the list (in hopes of being fair).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Since this is really only going to affect rides for first day and for last day of competition for select few, would it not be easier to just have them modify their rides timestamp rather than mucking with the code?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Well, the "mucking with the code" bit here is just for that "how many days during the competition have you ridden" metric, I believe. What we need to do is convert any ride start times to EST5EDT before we then truncate by date, so it's a bug in the code right now -- but should be easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Update: I added #NoBAFS to both the ride title and description. Hopefully this will remove that ride from the list (in hopes of being fair).
    Oh, that's a good point; I forgot about that hash tag -- But really the correct and fair thing to do is to leave the ride, because you'll get penalized at the end of the competition. Just like folks over in Europe got penalized at the beginning of the competition (consularrider wouldn't be able to start riding until 6am for it to count as Jan 1 by our clocks). The time zones even themselves out. We'll fix any software glitches that make the days-ridden confusing.