Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacific Northwest BAFS Advantage

Post Thanks / Like

But will he and other far-distant riders be able to end up with 79 days instead of 78? That's the question.
    Not that 10 points will make any difference, but perhaps a special pointless prize for time warping could be awarded.

Also, note that Pacific NW and Brazil and England and Colorado Springs, etc. riders probably shouldn't be on the Steve O's Crazy Idea leaderboard, since their gnarly days won't coincide with ours. I wonder if having them join another Strava group: "FS Diaspora" say, would allow for a simple way to remove them.

2. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Dislikes Edelweiss disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Rever Statistics??

Wait, Wait!

What about riders not in the EST who are in my Paul Revere Pointless Prize competition? For instance, if I ride in the MST at my midnight, am I going to show up as 2:00am on the official FS clock?
    And IMPORTANTLY, if I (or anyone else) waits to get her daily ride in until 11:45pm, will I have missed the day-window, and have the ride count as the next calendar day, since it would be 1:45EST??? Say NO! This is a critical consideration for me, as I sometimes have to do these Midnight Rides to get my daily rides in! Do I have to time my rides around 10pm Mountain time to count as a Freezing Saddles ride day (turning green?)

Thanks, edelweiss

4. Likes Nadine liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This really only affects the start and end dates for the competition. Tracking when (time of day) someone rode is always done in the rider's local time zone. I agree that this is the only way it makes sense.

And this is why time zones are hard. Because often, like in this case, the time of day when something happened is important; we can't just normalize everything to UTC, which is usually the simplest thing from a programming perspective.

6. Likes Nadine, Steve O, bobco85, Edelweiss liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    This really only affects the start and end dates for the competition. Tracking when (time of day) someone rode is always done in the rider's local time zone. I agree that this is the only way it makes sense.

And this is why time zones are hard. Because often, like in this case, the time of day when something happened is important; we can't just normalize everything to UTC, which is usually the simplest thing from a programming perspective.
    Which makes me glad I did not roll out of bed at 12:01 am on January 1 CET to try and beat vvil for the first BAFS ride of 2018! It does give me six more hours to ride on the final day!

8. Likes Nadine, rcannon100, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Bob should get to keep his ride, though he seems intent on giving it up. Just wait, Bob - there will be a glitch later that balances it out. It might even be before the last day.

It's a computer glitch gift. Easier to take it now than to make someone "fix" it and then fix the next thing that happens to you that's not in your favor... Take it! If somehow you don't get an error later that penalizes you, and it looks like this ride is gonna make some kinda difference, you can revisit it then....

Miss you! And glad you're still participating from afar!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

Also, note that Pacific NW and Brazil and England and Colorado Springs, etc. riders probably shouldn't be on the Steve O's Crazy Idea leaderboard, since their gnarly days won't coincide with ours.
    No kidding. Bobco's "extra day ridden" gives him a 1037.5% bump (as of 2:01 pm EST 1/10/2018) on the Steve O leaderboard.

11. Likes bobco85, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My new goal for BAFS2018 is to have more ride days than any other competitor because the glitch amuses me
    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    No kidding. Bobco's "extra day ridden" gives him a 1037.5% bump (as of 2:01 pm EST 1/10/2018) on the Steve O leaderboard.
    I just took a look at the Steve O leaderboard, and HOLY JEEBUS!!! I broke it!

13. Likes Nadine, Steve O, bentbike33, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    But will he and other far-distant riders be able to end up with 79 days instead of 78? That's the question.
    Not that 10 points will make any difference, but perhaps a special pointless prize for time warping could be awarded.
    As the ONLY competitor to ride 79 days in the 78 day competition (I can't reveal my secret), I am ready to claim my prize
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79rideDaysAchieved.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	17655

Also, I came SO CLOSE to winning the "Steve O's Worst Day Points Proposal" prize, too!

Name:	2ndPlaceSteveoContest.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	17656

15. Likes josh, Emm, Sunyata, Judd, chuxtr and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE Edelweiss ELITED this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    As the ONLY competitor to ride 79 days in the 78 day competition (I can't reveal my secret), I am ready to claim my prize

Name:	79rideDaysAchieved.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	17655

Also, I came SO CLOSE to winning the "Steve O's Worst Day Points Proposal" prize, too!

Name:	2ndPlaceSteveoContest.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	17656
    If I hadn't been so lazy this morning ...

17. Likes bobco85, Edelweiss liked this post